Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American IPA  (Read 2112 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American IPA
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2022, 04:53:13 pm »
Where can you purchase Crisp Plumage Archer?
Any place that sells Crisp malts (BSG malt group) should be able to order it for you. Otherwise: https://www.quirkyhomebrew.com/all-products/grain/crisp/crisp-plumage-archer-2-0-3-0l-1lb/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 05:19:39 pm »
Touring the Fuller's  brewery years back, the guide started talking about a beer they brewed from the brewing logs with the help of Ron Pattinson. These were in the Past Masters series they  brewed.

The guide said the beer was made with Plumage Archer malt. After some inquires  they found some was being grown by an eccentric old chap on his country estate. They were able to buy some and have it malted.

The guide was a real character, he turned and said  "You may have heard of that eccentric old chap, his name is Prince Charles"

This may or may not be a true story, as he was a brewery tour guide.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 08:17:03 am »
Any place that sells Crisp malts (BSG malt group) should be able to order it for you. Otherwise: https://www.quirkyhomebrew.com/all-products/grain/crisp/crisp-plumage-archer-2-0-3-0l-1lb/
Cool. I knew a couple of places to get chevelier, but not plumage archer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 08:18:57 am »
Unfortunately their website says they don't ship.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

narvin

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 08:23:25 am »

Maryland Homebrew has ordered special bags of weyermann for me (which is BSG), even ones not on their site.  Not sure what shipping costs for a sack though.

https://www.mdhb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_38&products_id=620320

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 08:41:35 am »

Maryland Homebrew has ordered special bags of weyermann for me (which is BSG), even ones not on their site.  Not sure what shipping costs for a sack though.

https://www.mdhb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_38&products_id=620320
A sack would be way too much for me, I'd only want enough for a couple of batches.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 11:56:19 pm »
I have been brewing west coast IPA's since the 90s and I was easily able to get the bitterness I wanted but never the super danky, citrusy blast that I wanted until I stopped thinking 3 oz of hops was a lot in the dry hop.  My standard west coast IPA is bittered to 65 ibus  and now I always hop stand with 6 oz of hops and dry hop with 6 oz of hops.  Is this overkill?  No idea.  But when I did this, I finally got the hop dank and citrus nasal blast I had been chasing for almost 20 years.  I plan on brewing my same batch without the hop stand to see what I get but as of now, this is how I get that big hop finish on top of my big hop bitterness that I want to make my hoppy west coast greatness.

AND PLEASE USE A CLEAN YEAST.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 11:57:56 pm by soymateofeo »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 04:14:16 am »
I have been brewing west coast IPA's since the 90s and I was easily able to get the bitterness I wanted but never the super danky, citrusy blast that I wanted until I stopped thinking 3 oz of hops was a lot in the dry hop.  My standard west coast IPA is bittered to 65 ibus  and now I always hop stand with 6 oz of hops and dry hop with 6 oz of hops.  Is this overkill?  No idea.  But when I did this, I finally got the hop dank and citrus nasal blast I had been chasing for almost 20 years.  I plan on brewing my same batch without the hop stand to see what I get but as of now, this is how I get that big hop finish on top of my big hop bitterness that I want to make my hoppy west coast greatness.

How many gallons is your recipe?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 08:42:19 am »

It's not overkill if you like the results. I've gone as high as 4 oz/gallon of flameout hops, but I've settled on about 0.5-1 oz of Cryo hops in both the hopstand and as dry hops. I may go as high as 2 oz/gallon with normal pellet hops. FWIW, my IPA's straddle the line between East Coast and West Coast - about 50-60 IBU, 150ppm SO4/70ppm Chloride, and truckloads of late/dry hops. I don't intentionally aim for haze, nor do I try to avoid it. I like a bit more bitterness and dry finish than most NEIPA's, but still being more about the hop flavor and aroma than the bitterness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer