Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two questions: floor/walls & septic systems  (Read 1706 times)

Offline graymax

• 1st Kit
Two questions: floor/walls & septic systems
« on: May 23, 2022, 12:25:14 pm »
Good afternoon, everyone.  After many. many years of apartment living in the city, I am moving to the country.  My wife and I are purchasing a house with a mostly finished basement, including a wet bar, a full bath, and two rooms to choose from for my electric home brewery.  The basement floor throughout is sealed concrete and the walls are drywall.  I'm looking for recommendations on affordable treatments for the floor and (if necessary) the walls.  The floor will not have any sort of center drainhole.  On a related note, I am moving from city water/sewer to a septic system.  Is there anything I should avoid using/putting down the drain?  Thanks for your help! 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Two questions: floor/walls & septic systems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 12:41:17 pm »
I've been on a septic system for 29 years. In terms of brewing, there's nothing I've put in it that's casued any problem at all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline graymax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:44:38 pm »
Thanks, Denny!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 05:08:26 pm »
Septic system and well water brewer here too since 1995 with no issues.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 05:27:23 pm »
Not problems here with septic going on 17 years. Well water may be perfectly fine, or it could have problems. Best to send it out to get tested.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 07:18:09 pm »
Another septic user for 15 yrs. with no issues

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 05:01:12 am »
Septic owner here, but are you draining all cooling water into it?  That might be a bit much for your system, if you brew a lot…even so, I doubt it will be a problem with just occasional brewing.

As to walls in a finished area, make sure you can vent out the steam or consider using a lid with a steam abating set up.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 07:32:16 am »
Septic owner here, but are you draining all cooling water into it?  That might be a bit much for your system, if you brew a lot…even so, I doubt it will be a problem with just occasional brewing.

As to walls in a finished area, make sure you can vent out the steam or consider using a lid with a steam abating set up.

Cheers!
This is a great point, water damage, especially mold, is more likely to come from the humidity heating all that liquid will create so ventilation is more important than protecting against water on the floor in this case. That being said if you are going to have plumbing in this room there are a couple areas to watch, behind a sink and where drywall meets floor. You can get a plastic backing that foodservice kitchens use and make sure it's caulked where the sink meets the wall. You can also get a flexible plastic baseboard trim that prevents liquid from getting to the drywall from the floor.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 03:24:41 pm »
You can also get a flexible plastic baseboard trim that prevents liquid from getting to the drywall from the floor.

Redoing the drywall in my garage right now and adding just that to keep the dry wall from getting all squidgy
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 05:41:58 am »
I would not dump any old yeast into the tank especially if the system is not vented. Ask me how I know. Get some Rid-X and treat it monthly.
Reuse cooling water in the garden or for the grass and dump old yeast in a compost or can be used in the garden.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 06:59:48 am »
I would not dump any old yeast into the tank especially if the system is not vented. Ask me how I know. Get some Rid-X and treat it monthly.
Reuse cooling water in the garden or for the grass and dump old yeast in a compost or can be used in the garden.
I am curious what happened when you put yeast down the drain.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 07:14:04 am »
You can also put fibre-reinforced-plastic (FRP) on the walls which will keep the drywall from getting wet.  Seal it at the floor with a good caulk or flexible baseboard and you are good to go.

Regarding putting yeast into a septic system, although it shouldn't cause problems with the amount of bacteria in the system, I err on the safe side and never put yeast down the drain.  I have a septic system here and have lived here for 36 years.  Everything but the yeast and spent grain goes down the drain (i.e. PBW, caistic, acid rinse, etc.).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 07:52:31 am »
I have an old house that has been added onto several times. Have a 1/2 bath added later on that has no vent. One time I got up in the middle of the night to pee like old men do. I went to the 1/2 bath and didn't turn on the light as not to wake the Mrs. I had to sit with no light on and that's when I felt water on the seat. The yeast produced enough co2 to vent through toilet, gross. :o That's my, don't do that story.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 08:16:15 am »
I have an old house that has been added onto several times. Have a 1/2 bath added later on that has no vent. One time I got up in the middle of the night to pee like old men do. I went to the 1/2 bath and didn't turn on the light as not to wake the Mrs. I had to sit with no light on and that's when I felt water on the seat. The yeast produced enough co2 to vent through toilet, gross. :o That's my, don't do that story.
At least you got a good story out of it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 08:30:34 am »

I've been doing for 25 years without a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell