Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leichtbier  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Leichtbier
« on: June 17, 2022, 10:26:35 am »
Planning on brewing up a German Leichtbier tomorrow or Sunday.

Is it as simple as taking my standard Pale Bitter Pils recipe, and watering it down?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Leichtbier
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:09:39 am »
It’s my understanding that Leichtbier is not a German version of Bud Light, or Coors Light.
Never had it before, but think it would be a nice challenge to brew.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 11:38:51 am »
I have made it several times and entered it a couple times with some success.  It has no adjunct, of course (unlike American Light Lager), but you might want to scale back the hops from the level found in a German Pils, if doing a Licht Pils.  Technically, you can make just about any style with Leichtbier classification (lower ABV), but the trick is to not come across as too thin or watery.  I tend to shoot for 3.6 to 3.8 ABV.  The entry that did the best for me was called "Chasing the Unicorn", because it is an elusive beer to get exactly right....Cheers with the chase. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 02:54:59 pm »
I have made it several times and entered it a couple times with some success.  It has no adjunct, of course (unlike American Light Lager), but you might want to scale back the hops from the level found in a German Pils, if doing a Licht Pils.  Technically, you can make just about any style with Leichtbier classification (lower ABV), but the trick is to not come across as too thin or watery.  I tend to shoot for 3.6 to 3.8 ABV.  The entry that did the best for me was called "Chasing the Unicorn", because it is an elusive beer to get exactly right....Cheers with the chase.

Thanks for the info. I will shoot for that, between 3.5 and 4% ABV.
I know this is a difficult beer to make.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 10:29:21 am »
Just put 10 gallons in kegs. Split batch. Wyeast 2124 & Diamond Lager.
Turned out good. I will have a full report after the carbonation is complete…maybe two or three days.
3.4% ABV.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:45:17 am »
Now that both kegs are fully carbonated, a friend was invited over to do an evaluation.

One 11 gallon batch, split into two 5.5 gallon size fermentations. Diamond Lager, and Wyeast 2124.

Dave really liked both beers, stating they were very, very good. Competition worthy was what he said. Dave is a person who will tell you if the beer is flawed, and exactly what the flaws are. He has hammered me a couple times in the past!
As he sampled the beers, he had the BJCP style guidelines open, and was going over each description in the profile, and commenting on both beers.

Both beers are very different from each other. The Diamond has more flavor, is slightly more crisp. The 2124 is lighter, and a bit more soft in overall taste.

I did not think there would be such a huge difference in the two beers.

Curious why the 2124 would be lighter, with less flavor? It is a good beer, for sure.

Both of these are light. Not like an American Light Beer, but far lighter than anything I have ever brewed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:48:21 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 06:30:45 am »
Cheers to a great couple beers.

As to the reason for the differences, I think the beers are showcasing the yeast with such a light grain and hop bill.  Or at least that has been my experience.  I agree in preference to the Diamond, as well, but taste buds will vary.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 07:50:16 am »
Cheers to a great couple beers.

As to the reason for the differences, I think the beers are showcasing the yeast with such a light grain and hop bill.  Or at least that has been my experience.  I agree in preference to the Diamond, as well, but taste buds will vary.

That makes sense. With the low ABV, this is a nice beer as you can have more than just a couple without feeling the effects of the alcohol.

Here is the recipe:

11 Gallons

12 lbs Tex Pilsner Malt
1 lb Ireks Munich
1.8 oz Tettnanger Hops - 5.9% AA (60 minutes)
20 IBU
Step Mash
144 - 45 minutes
160 - 30 minutes
170 - Mash Out
60 minute boil
OG 1.032
FG 1.007
3.4% ABV

Diamond Lager Yeast
Wyeast 2124