Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Day is on!!!!  (Read 4469 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Brew Day is on!!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2022, 12:04:33 am »
When I mentioned not bottling 1023 beer, I didn’t realize you planned to keg the beer. Kegs can handle more pressure if it somehow started to ferment in the keg. With the keg the beer may over carbonate but it won’t explode.

I still recommend waiting. Swirl and give it a full 3 weeks. On the other hand it’s hard to believe it got stuck at 1023. Your recipe doesn’t look like one that would get stuck to me. I have never had a beer get stuck period. So, is it possible the hydrometer readings are wrong? Does it taste sweet?

I wasn't at first, but when you mentioned it should not be bottled I thought I could throw it in the keg and see what happens.  I am guessing, at worst, it will set off the PR valve if fermentation starts again. 

I am away for a few days, so I have not had a chance to do much with it.  When I get home I will give it another swirl and see what happens.  I will also give it a taste.  I don't think the hydrometer is wrong, but I guess I can stick it in some room temp tap water and see what it reads that way, right? 

Either way, I am not giving up.  I will brew it again, and see what happens.  It could very well be that my starter was off a bit and did not have the proper amount of yeast cells.  This was only my second attempt at making a starter, so who knows.  I might have screwed that up.  This recipe is nothing really different than all the others I have done.  Same procedure I have used in the past, mostly the same ingredients actually as well.  Marris Otter and the different yeast strain are about the only things that are different. 

Thanks to you and all who have offered suggestions.  I am taking them all in and trying to get a good working knowledge and develop a good process that will work for me.  So far, one bad out of about 8 or so isn't too bad I guess.  LOL
So, what happened with this beer?

I just got home from a weekend golf trip.  It is still in the keg at room temps.  I need to pull a sample and get an reading on it again.  My hope is that the gravity has come down, but I doubt it.  I will update as soon as I can.  It will sit in the keg until at least Thursday when I can get the reading and maybe throw some dry hops in it for a few days.