Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 575 and diacytel  (Read 1457 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
WLP 575 and diacytel
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:21 am »
If you have brewed with WLP575 - Belgian style ale blend, did you notice if it happened to produce a lot of diacytel? If so, does it go away after sitting in the secondary for a while?

A brew of mine tastes like butter and i am wondering if it got infected or if it was the yeast.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Re: WLP 575 and diacytel
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »
Based on White Labs info, there should be a low-low medium diacetyl production, but with diacetyl it should subside quite a bit.  Leave it in the primary for a few more days than you normally would and see if it clears up.  Moving it to the secondary will take longer for the yeast to clean up the diacetyl.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
Re: WLP 575 and diacytel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:19 pm »
Ah good thanks. I have had an infected beer before and it tasted way worse than this one does. I will let it sit a few more days like you said and taste it again. I already transferred it to the secondary. The odd thing is i didn't taste any butterness when i took a sample from the primary, but tasting it a day or two later in the secondary is when i noticed it. I didn't think it would have gotten and infection because by that point it was 17% ABV. It is still going too; bubbles are still forming on the insides of the secondary and the airlock has a bubble every few minutes.

Anyhow, i will let it rest and see what happens. Thanks!
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.