Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand  (Read 9357 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2023, 05:14:38 pm »
Keep in mind that correlation is not necessarily causation.
Do mean this: https://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

I like running some these with my students.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2023, 08:22:00 pm »
Having brewed through a 500 gram brick of Nova i have noticed an unusual aroma early after kegging. Kind of an overripe tropical fruit note like overripe jackfruit. But the beer is always so crisp and clean as that aroma fades. Can’t get enough of the nova. Torn between Diamond and nova for my Pilsner. Love them both but they are very different.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2023, 10:19:22 am »
Keep in mind that correlation is not necessarily causation.
Do mean this: https://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

I like running some these with my students.
Talking about common fallacies, the most common fallacy in homebrewing is the "absence of evidence" fallacy.
100s of hombrew experiments with no statistical significance taken as evidence that the two treatments are therefore similar (or the same).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2023, 11:36:52 am »
I know a lot of brewers love to keep every variable about their batch and keep it in a searchable database but I just don't brew that way.  I have brewed on old-school equipment and turned out good beer since 1999 with a relatively simple approach.  No, I don't know what it is I'm seeing on these batches and yes I am pointing to the Nova (probably incorrectly) because it's the least familiar part of the batches.  The grains are not in question because the grains used were from the same bags as other batches that turned out well.  I make recipes like the ones in question all the time.  I make mostly lagers and I almost never have a batch that needs to be dumped.  What I'm seeing is foreign to me which is why I brought it here.  * shrugs *
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2023, 12:06:16 pm »
I know a lot of brewers love to keep every variable about their batch and keep it in a searchable database but I just don't brew that way.  I have brewed on old-school equipment and turned out good beer since 1999 with a relatively simple approach.  No, I don't know what it is I'm seeing on these batches and yes I am pointing to the Nova (probably incorrectly) because it's the least familiar part of the batches.  The grains are not in question because the grains used were from the same bags as other batches that turned out well.  I make recipes like the ones in question all the time.  I make mostly lagers and I almost never have a batch that needs to be dumped.  What I'm seeing is foreign to me which is why I brought it here.  * shrugs *
Does sludgy mean cloudy? Could the yeast slurry have been infected with wild yeast or something else?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2023, 01:12:49 pm »
Does sludgy mean cloudy? Could the yeast slurry have been infected with wild yeast or something else?
There's a picture on the previous page and the beer is cloudy-ish but not that bad honestly .. I just put the keg on tap so I expect some amount of cloudiness.  Also, the beer does not taste contaminated.  It tastes a little odd but I think it's yeast bite if anything.  The Oktoberfest dropped REALLY CLEAR (also a picture on the previous page) so I am wondering if the high-floccing character of Nova has just created a large amount of yeast on the bottom of the keg and the glass of beer's color is being impacted by that and after a number of pints it will clear up and show a more consistent color with how it should be. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2023, 10:01:46 am »
Ken - I think it may be simply the yeast dropping to the bottom of the keg.  I had a keg kick recently that was a Nova lager and it had a noticeably larger yeast cake as compared to recent Diamond lagers. 

I use floating diptubes in my fermenter, but not in my serving kegs.  The beers are racked typical around a week in and then held for at least a couple weeks or more before tapping, so they usually clear well after the first half pint.  This was true on all of the comparison beers….The only difference was the trub left at the bottom.  Maybe Nova doesn’t compact as well or as quickly?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2023, 08:44:27 am »
Ken - I think it may be simply the yeast dropping to the bottom of the keg.  I had a keg kick recently that was a Nova lager and it had a noticeably larger yeast cake as compared to recent Diamond lagers. 

I use floating diptubes in my fermenter, but not in my serving kegs.  The beers are racked typical around a week in and then held for at least a couple weeks or more before tapping, so they usually clear well after the first half pint.  This was true on all of the comparison beers….The only difference was the trub left at the bottom.  Maybe Nova doesn’t compact as well or as quickly?
Thanks for that.  I thought it could be that and I also just chalked it up to me not being very familiar with Nova.  What really got me about it was the color of the beer .. much darker than it should be, IMO.  I also thought that the beer was "decently clear" after the majority of the sludge was drawn up from the bottom of the keg.  Over the weekend I had a little bit of this beer and then took that keg out and put the second of the two gold beers (made with Nova) into the draft fridge.  Everything about this one looks better.  I had a bud over here yesterday to watch some NFL and at first I told him to avoid that tap but eventually he said he wanted to try it.  He said it was very good.  This was 80/20 Pils/Munich 2, Edelweiss hops and Nova.  I am going to let it go for a bit and see what happens.  Again, there were made in September so they were gelled, carbed and then lagering for close to three months.  A lot of yeast could accumulate on the bottom of the keg based on that so I will be patient and see how they come out.  I really just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and it sounds like a NO.  It was mentioned that the Nova beers seem to have an off-aroma when they're young but then it dissipates.    Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 08:46:31 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago.