Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 15561 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2024, 02:38:00 pm »
How to get around this could be an issue: “Due to the prohibitively expensive shipping required to keep these frozen in transit, Blue Lake Hops are available for pickup only.”

They'll ship, but like they say...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2024, 05:17:00 am »
The club has a cereal beer challenge each year. I drew Oreos cereal so I am brewing a 1 gal batch this AM (because I don’t want a full keg of Oreos Cereal Stout).

Although, last year the chocolate cereal beer wasn’t too bad. It took 3rd at its table in the AL Brewer’s Cup which gave me a check mark in category 15. (I am trying to score above 30 in all 41 categories of beer/mead/cider.). We’ll see if this one brings me success in category 16.

Edit: this beer scored a 33 at the AL Brewer’s Cup.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:30:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2024, 08:11:11 am »
Good luck - it looks to be very tasty.  I assume you have already met your goal in the Sweet Stout (16) category?  That would seem the most appropriate category here with Oreo cereal, if you were adding a bit of lactose (which you are not)....or perhaps SHV 30A due to the chocolate as a spice?  The 16 B works, though, since you have oats added, of course, just wondering about the judges reaction to it in this category. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  A small batch of it would be nice to have around for a change of pace on the stout front.  I am due to brew something stout-ish and this might just be my inspiration to get it done.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:09 am »
I am torn to where I should enter it 16A or B. I went through the same iterations you did with the decision. Since I didn’t add lactose I settled on B because of the oatmeal and the cereal is made with oats, wheat, and sugar mainly. …but we’ll see how sweet it ends up and if I get the creamy vibe from the oatmeal.  I believe I can change the entry based on the results of the finished beer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:27:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2024, 09:50:53 am »
Doing an altbier split-brew day (mash today/boil tomorrow) with some Belma hops as bittering and fermenting with lager yeast.  Giving them a try despite the comments that they impart a strawberry note.  Also did a small batch of German pils with Pils malt, Belma, and lager yeast as another experimental use of those hops.  It will be a while until I taste these batches as I plan on giving as long of a lagering time as I can stand!

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2024, 10:44:48 am »
I brewed a Vienna Lager this AM. Not sure why BeerSmith changes the weight of the grains when I did the screenshot

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2024, 12:55:55 pm »
I brewed a Vienna Lager this AM. Not sure why BeerSmith changes the weight of the grains when I did the screenshot

I saw this preview of your post in Tapatalk.

I was like, huh? You don’t know why you brewed a Vienna Lager?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2024, 02:03:57 pm »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2024, 06:53:05 am »
On my path to brew a beer from each of the 41 BJCP categories, today I am brewing a NZ Pils. One thing about the Master HomeBrew Program is I am ‘forced’ into brewing beers I otherwise wouldn’t. I am looking forward to this one, some of the sours — not so much. .

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2024, 11:20:39 am »
Brewed an American light beer with a twist - no corn or rice, instead all grain with 4 lbs Great Western 2 row, 4 lbs Weyermann FM Bo Pils, .5 lb Avangard light Munich, and .25 lb acidulated malt, .5 oz magnum 30’ and .5 oz Mittelfruh 10’, 90’ mash, 30’ boil. Diamond lager yeast (2 sachets).  52F
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:22:26 am by ynotbrusum »

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2024, 08:14:30 am »
Brewed an American light beer with a twist - no corn or rice, instead all grain with 4 lbs Great Western 2 row, 4 lbs Weyermann FM Bo Pils, .5 lb Avangard light Munich, and .25 lb acidulated malt, .5 oz magnum 30’ and .5 oz Mittelfruh 10’, 90’ mash, 30’ boil. Diamond lager yeast (2 sachets).  52F
In a blind tasting, I bet this would be perceived as a Munich Helles. Without replacing some of the malt with adjuncts, you kind of lose the Light part.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:23:51 pm by John M »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2024, 08:31:14 am »
Indeed, my Helles is similar in grain composition, but I sub continental 2 row, 10 L Carahell for the Munich and up the IBU's a bit.  This is pretty close to my Licht beer, but there I use 3.5 lbs continental 2 row and continental pils with quite a bit more IBU's than this one.

Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2024, 12:01:57 pm »
I brewed an American Porter this AM. My adaptation of Curt Stock’s recipe.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2024, 12:16:29 pm »
I brewed an American Porter this AM. My adaptation of Curt Stock’s recipe.

I had the pleasure of spending time in Curt's basement taproom. Every wall was completely covered in medals and ribbons he'd won. I'd say you made a good choice!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2024, 02:01:03 pm »
Very cool. I brewed a less robust version of this and entered it as an English Porter which took 3rd with a 41 at SNAFU’s Winterfest. I incorporated some corrections based on comments about process so I have high hopes for this more robust Am Porter version.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:05:59 pm by BrewBama »