Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the dumbest thing you have done on brewing day???  (Read 13675 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: What's the dumbest thing you have done on brewing day???
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:58 am »
Similar to the Major, a couple of brew sessions ago I started the cold water through my IC.
I don't have a pump to do the re-circ process, so I just let the cold water run for a few minutes then start stirring the wort to keep it circulating in the kettle.
Looked over at the kettle in about 10 minutes and noticed the blue flames under the kettle!
Was surprised, as the Major noted, that even with the flame on, the temp had dropped by 40 degrees!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:10 am »
Besides running off into a kettle that the spigot was turned to the "open postion" at least a million times.....
Been there, done that. That's how I learned not to brew barefoot.  :-[

Shoeless Brew Jackson!
I still haven't learned that one . . . I brew barefoot whenever the ground is warm enough. :)
Honestly I haven't either. I don't know what it is, but there is something strangely satisfying about stumbling straight out of bed and into a brew session.  :D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:46 am »
Besides running off into a kettle that the spigot was turned to the "open postion" at least a million times.....
Been there, done that. That's how I learned not to brew barefoot.  :-[

Shoeless Brew Jackson!
I still haven't learned that one . . . I brew barefoot whenever the ground is warm enough. :)

Wow, brave man!  After the first time I stood by the burner wearing Tevas, I decided it was shoes from then on, no matter how hot the weather was.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 09:47:36 am »

Wow, brave man!  After the first time I stood by the burner wearing Tevas, I decided it was shoes from then on, no matter how hot the weather was.
I don't know about brave, it's just what I prefer.  Remember, I did get thrown out of Club Night for being barefoot  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:50 am »
I don't know about brave, it's just what I prefer.  Remember, I did get thrown out of Club Night for being barefoot  ;D

Ahhh...I thought it was for just being yourself!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:12 am »

Ahhh...I thought it was for just being yourself!  ;)
Could have been, but that's not the reason they gave  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:21 am »
Similar to the Major, a couple of brew sessions ago I started the cold water through my IC.
I don't have a pump to do the re-circ process, so I just let the cold water run for a few minutes then start stirring the wort to keep it circulating in the kettle.
Looked over at the kettle in about 10 minutes and noticed the blue flames under the kettle!
Was surprised, as the Major noted, that even with the flame on, the temp had dropped by 40 degrees!

HEY LOOK! Someone else as dumb as me!  :P ;)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
Like dunngood, using carboys was the dumbest thing I've ever done while brewing.

I'm with ya Denny.  I replace my buckets about 10 brews or so.......   And do not go to secondary fermentation.  11 days, and I'm kegging it up. 

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 07:38:46 pm »
Like dunngood, using carboys was the dumbest thing I've ever done while brewing.

I'm with ya Denny.  I replace my buckets about 10 brews or so.......   And do not go to secondary fermentation.  11 days, and I'm kegging it up. 
I use the same bucket from when I started about 6 years ago, and I'm still using the same tubing that came with my auto siphon from the same era... I think plastic is more durable than it's reputation. 

My worst brewday offence is a starter day offence.  Turns out that if you put a smack pack in an oven, and then forget about it and turn on the oven, it goes POP!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:39 pm »
My worst brewday offence is a starter day offence.  Turns out that if you put a smack pack in an oven, and then forget about it and turn on the oven, it goes POP!

Hey Look! Someone dumber than me!  :P ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »
I see the logic of putting it in there. Nice stable and warm-ish.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:41 am »
I see the logic of putting it in there. Nice stable and warm-ish.

Stable and warm-ish until he turned the oven on
Joe

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:58 am »
^ I do the same thing when letting bread dough rise. Unfortunately, last time I also forgot about it when turning the oven on. :-[
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »
Leaned over the kettle to get a steamy wiff, only to watch the glasses slide off my nose into the boil.

Then on one of the next couple of brews did the very same thing again.I suppose the second time was the stupidest.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »
^ I do the same thing when letting bread dough rise. Unfortunately, last time I also forgot about it when turning the oven on. :-[

I've done that, but I also had a good thermometer in the oven as well.