Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the dumbest thing you have done on brewing day???  (Read 13672 times)

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
What's the dumbest thing you have done on brewing day???
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »
I was brewing with a friend today.  The strike water was ready.  I asked my friend to start putting the grain into the water.  As he was putting the first scoop into the mash tun I realized I hadn't crushed the grain yet.  Later on I was weighing out the bittering hops (whole, homegrown Nugget).  I kept putting more hops into the bowl thinking I wouldn't have enough hops only to realize I needed 14 gm not 150 gm.  I guess that is what I get for getting up at 3am for work then brewing afterward.

What is your silly story?   :P

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: What's the dumbest thing you have done on brewing day???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:03 am »
Besides running off into a kettle that the spigot was turned to the "open postion" at least a million times, several years ago I was brewing with a  friend and we were running the wort through the chiller. He had been getting kind of bored anyway, but the session was about to wrap up and I went inside to do something and just asked him to "keep an eye on it". When I came back five minutes later he was standing there right next to the BK looking off in the distance not noticing that the (CFC) chiller tube had slipped off the valve and wort was just pouring on the ground.

Another time (much more recent), using my IC chiller and a recirc with a pump, I started the chilling process and went inside to help the wife with something, came back about 10 or 15 minutes later and noticed the wort temp was still at 180 degrees. Thought it was odd as it usually cools down to that point in a few minutes but didn;t give it much thought. Then came back another 15-20 min. later and it was STILL at 180 degrees. Now I was definitely in "what the hell?" mode. Turns out I had the chiller running, but left the burner on. Pretty amazed that it was able to hold the beer at 180 degrees for about a half an hour with the burner on and the chiller running!

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:47:21 am »
I would say dropping carboys. I can still see the wave of Stout flowing across the carpet and crashing into the couch. I had to pull up the carpet and pad to clean up.

Then I dropped a 61/2 gal carboy slippery from cleaner. No beer loss but dangerous.

In my early days I had a container full of fermenting wine detonate next to my white germen shepherd. It actually stained the dog. Of course we called him spot for a week or so.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:17 am »
I got stinking drunk while brewing once.  Ended up with a minor burn on my hand, found the bag of 20 minute hops the next day, forgot the Irish moss, and didn't write my recipe down.  The beer still turned out OK but since then I stay sober until I start the cleanup.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:35 am »
If you brew a Milk Stout and forget to crush the grains, the resulting beer tastes surprisingly like Arrogant Bastard.

Ask me how I know that. ::)
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:57 am »
Like dunngood, using carboys was the dumbest thing I've ever done while brewing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:22:27 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »
Trying to water the grapes with my chiller water. The hose was a little to short. I pulled the kettle over.  :'(

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »
I also tried to brew a batch without grinding the grain. What made it worse was that it was at Big Brew. Our club always gets together at one home & we all brew batches together. I had already ground the grain for my batch, but someone came late & I gave them that grain & started to put together another kit. In my rush to get it done I measured accurately, but forgot to grind it. Didn't notice till I'd poured it into the tun.

As you can imagine, even though a number of years have passed, my buddies never forget to remind me about that. I tell them that it just lowers efficiency, and that's highly over-rated. They don't buy that Neither do I, but what else can ya say?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »
  If the pot is on the burner and is stable, leave it alone. Once, after a full boil was going, it appeared that the kettle wasn't centered good enough so Tubercle tried to adjust it. Of course, it toppled over when I set it back down too far to one side and 6-1/2 gallons of boiling wort came crashing down. Tubercle may have been drinking at the time. No injuries thankfully.

Have you ever heard the sound of boiling wort hitting the ground? It sounds a lot like OH! F^@&!!! but a whole lot louder and a much higher pitch... :o
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »
the first time i used an immersion chiller i thought i had to put the immersion chiller in an ice bath and then siphon the wort through it...good times.
Take it easy...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »
Trying to water the grapes with my chiller water. The hose was a little to short. I pulled the kettle over.  :'(

FOR THE WIN!!!  :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 06:43:10 pm »

FOR THE WIN!!!  :D

That's a shame...

I mean the stupidity.  ;D

Ron Price

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:20:29 pm »
Like dunngood, using carboys was the dumbest thing I've ever done while brewing.

Oh c'mon, man!  The dumbest thing was you used the carboys incorrectly

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 09:42:02 pm »
Carboys are fine, unless you don't know what you're doing.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »
Mine was helping a new brewer. He had several failed attempts with beer and brewing and had 2-3 initial
infected beers. As in, his first batches were all infected. Star-san was involved before we found the
screw cap bottles had been crimped on caps...Oxidation galore. But the last batch that I was helping
with, The beer was in the bottling bucket, the corn sugar was cooling on the stove...30-45 min later
we are within 2-3 bottles of the last ones to be capped when I spot the corn sugar still colling on the
stove...

DOH!
Ruben * Colorado :)