Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decant  (Read 3700 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Decant
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 11:46:53 am »
I remember that. Great read (again).

Fire Rooster

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 11:48:52 am »
Like I said yeast rinsing is a newbie fad and a waste of time  ;D
It was also you that got me to see the light on not doing secondaries.

Tried top cropping (1469) but it didn't go well, brown chunks all over the place, chucked it.

So, on to my real question, how much of the saved yeast from the bottom should I use ?
Same batch size and ABV.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:03:46 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 12:03:13 pm »

Tried top cropping (1469) but it didn't go well, brown chunks all over the place, chucked it.

So, on to my real question, how much of the saved yeast from the bottom should I use ?
Same batch size and ABV.

Thanks

If the OG of the next beer is under 1.060 I'd use 1/3 of it. Higher than that I'd use 1/2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 12:06:05 pm »

Same batch size and ABV.

Thanks

If the OG of the next beer is under 1.060 I'd use 1/3 of it. Higher than that I'd use 1/2.

Thank You !
I'm a newbie to reusing yeast (first time)

Cheers & Thanks
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:08:52 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

Decant
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 12:08:34 pm »
Per WYeast:

REPITCHING BY WEIGHT OR VOLUME:

Estimates of cell counts can be made using percent yeast solids of the slurry. Percentage of yeast solids per volume of slurry can be estimated by allowing a sample to sediment under refrigeration and estimating the percent solids. Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per mL. This will vary with the yeast strain. By using this method with every brew, a brewer can achieve consistent pitch rates batch to batch resulting in a more consistent product.

Once the brewer has determined the desired pitch rate and cell density of the slurry the brewer can collect the appropriate quantity of yeast. Slurry can be harvested based on volume or weight. 1.0 L (1 quart) of yeast slurry (40% yeast solids) weighs approximately 1.1 Kg (2.4 lbs). The following guidelines will deliver the appropriate pitch rates.

Ales with a specific gravity < 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 1.0 Kg (2.2 lbs) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 1 Liter (1 quart) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

Lagers with a specific gravity < 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 2.0 Kg (4.4 lbs.) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 2 Liters (2 quarts) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

High lagers with a specific gravity > 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 3.0 Kg (6.6 lbs.) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 3 Liters (3 quarts) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

Ref: https://wyeastlab.com/resource/professional-yeast-harvesting-repitching/

I believe 1 US BBL ≈ 31 US gal.  1 US Qt ≈ 32 US fl oz. So, ~ 1 fl oz per gal Ale and ~2 fl oz per gal Lager < 1.064. ~3 oz per gal > 1.064.

I use 12 fl oz pitch in 4.5 gal wort for Lager and 6 for an Ale (when I harvest and repitch). I want the desired yeast to outperform any undesirable microbes I may have inadvertently harvested or otherwise introduced. I do this as described in post #9 above.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:40:50 pm by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 12:17:00 pm »
How do you dislodge the yeast that's tightly packed on bottom of fermenter ?
(taking nothing for granted)

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 12:18:52 pm »

Thanks
I swirl it around and dump it in glass canning jars.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Fire Rooster

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2022, 12:37:06 pm »

Thanks
I swirl it around and dump it in glass canning jars.

That's what I thought, thanks !

Cheers

Fire Rooster

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 01:31:57 am »
Per WYeast:

REPITCHING BY WEIGHT OR VOLUME:

Estimates of cell counts can be made using percent yeast solids of the slurry. Percentage of yeast solids per volume of slurry can be estimated by allowing a sample to sediment under refrigeration and estimating the percent solids. Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per mL. This will vary with the yeast strain. By using this method with every brew, a brewer can achieve consistent pitch rates batch to batch resulting in a more consistent product.

Once the brewer has determined the desired pitch rate and cell density of the slurry the brewer can collect the appropriate quantity of yeast. Slurry can be harvested based on volume or weight. 1.0 L (1 quart) of yeast slurry (40% yeast solids) weighs approximately 1.1 Kg (2.4 lbs). The following guidelines will deliver the appropriate pitch rates.

Ales with a specific gravity < 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 1.0 Kg (2.2 lbs) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 1 Liter (1 quart) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

Lagers with a specific gravity < 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 2.0 Kg (4.4 lbs.) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 2 Liters (2 quarts) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

High lagers with a specific gravity > 1.064 (16 °P): pitch 3.0 Kg (6.6 lbs.) of thick slurry (40% yeast solids) per 1 BBL (1.17 hL) or 3 Liters (3 quarts) of thick slurry per 1 BBL (1.17 hL)

Ref: https://wyeastlab.com/resource/professional-yeast-harvesting-repitching/

I believe 1 US BBL ≈ 31 US gal.  1 US Qt ≈ 32 US fl oz. So, ~ 1 fl oz per gal Ale and ~2 fl oz per gal Lager < 1.064. ~3 oz per gal > 1.064.

I use 12 fl oz pitch in 4.5 gal wort for Lager and 6 for an Ale (when I harvest and repitch). I want the desired yeast to outperform any undesirable microbes I may have inadvertently harvested or otherwise introduced. I do this as described in post #9 above.

Thanks

Fire Rooster

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2022, 12:13:27 pm »
Harvested yeast, placed in refrigerator.
Should the container lid be tight or loose ?

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2022, 12:22:27 pm »
Harvested yeast, placed in refrigerator.
Should the container lid be tight or loose ?

Thanks

Loose, unless you want to pick glass out of the fridge walls. Ask me how I know! 😄
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2022, 01:06:06 pm »
I just do loose mason jar lid but you can also buy lids made for fermenting. My wife uses them for lacto fermented pickles. Honestly though, I think the loose mason jar lid is better because I think with yeast slurry those purpose made lids are more likely to clog and build up pressure than a loose lid.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2022, 01:18:44 pm »
First thought, yeast was done gassing off, tighten lid.

Second thought, all the shaking to dislodge yeast
created air bubbles, and then could be tightened after a day or two.

Third thought, I'd better check.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:54:48 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 04:30:46 am »
Yeast used in original fermentation was Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale.
The grayish part of yeast slurry collected in container is 3 cups (24 oz).
BrewBama stated 12 oz (4.5g) for Lager, Denny stated half of slurry for high OG,
which happens to be 12 oz.  So were in the ball park, I'm good so far.

Next brew day will be within two weeks.
I'm hung up between making a starter, and pitching portion of yeast slurry in fermenter,
then filling with whole batch of fresh wort.

Also, what would be the safest number of times to re-pitch ?
I prefer to reduce the number of times re-pitching, vs waiting
until something tastes off or poor fermentation.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:14:53 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 05:40:55 am »
I brew in groups of three. If I harvest yeast I routinely pitch it in two subsequent batches. I have repitched up to five but I started getting nervous. Many have gone a lot further without an issue.