Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting the "curlys" out of siphon tubing.......i need your secrets!  (Read 5685 times)

Offline darthmorgoth

• 1st Kit
looks like i got the hind end of the spool or something, does anyone have a trick up their sleeve for making my miscreant tubing behave? ive been offered the suggestion of hanging and weighting at NB forums and i thought i would set this out here as well.

cheers,
darth
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny' " ...........isaac asimov

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
Re: getting the "curlys" out of siphon tubing.......i need your secrets!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »
Boiling water, soak, remove, bend into any shape you like! :)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »
Brilliant!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:38 pm »
Yea my gawd my friends. I sometimes wish that there was a ban on selling the last end of a spool!

I have very few of these type of hoses actually. Believe it or not, I still use the exact same hose that came with my 10 year old B3 starter kit for transferring beers. I'd say that I easily have over 200 beers transferred through that silly tube.

Now, I have two new hoses though. They are hooked to a "Y" adapter so I can transfer my 10 gallons into two 5 gallon kegs at the same time. This method ended my problems with stratification.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »
Never thought to boil it,

Thanks for the idea.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:50 am »
... Now, I have two new hoses though. They are hooked to a "Y" adapter so I can transfer my 10 gallons into two 5 gallon kegs at the same time. This method ended my problems with stratification.
BRILLIANT! :)
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:33:09 am »
Thank the Beer Gods!  When I read 'curlys' I thought some sort of nefarious hair had gotten into your racking tube!!
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

brewboy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:20 am »
You just need to soak it in some near boiling water for a few minutes and then hang it up with some weight on the bottom, while it cools.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »
To think I've been battling curly siphon tubes all this time.

Actually mine usually straighten pretty well out after washing with hot water a during a few batch transfers.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »
Yea my gawd my friends. I sometimes wish that there was a ban on selling the last end of a spool!

I have very few of these type of hoses actually. Believe it or not, I still use the exact same hose that came with my 10 year old B3 starter kit for transferring beers. I'd say that I easily have over 200 beers transferred through that silly tube.

Now, I have two new hoses though. They are hooked to a "Y" adapter so I can transfer my 10 gallons into two 5 gallon kegs at the same time. This method ended my problems with stratification.

thanks lonnie, thats an incredibly helpful tip.  going to do the same next batch.

Offline darthmorgoth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:28 pm »
thank you for the great ideas; i got around to dipping them in boiling water today and it worked like a charm.

cheers,
darth
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny' " ...........isaac asimov

Offline dsiets

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
What works for me is the permenant installation of a cheap plastic bottling wand on the end of my racking set up.
It does decrease the flow rate a bit but I also like the ease at which I can lift up on the hose to stop the flow to secondary/keg if its going to overfill and then fill a few bottles or take a hydro sample w/o draining beer all over.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:02 am »
What works for me is the permenant installation of a cheap plastic bottling wand on the end of my racking set up.
It does decrease the flow rate a bit but I also like the ease at which I can lift up on the hose to stop the flow to secondary/keg if its going to overfill and then fill a few bottles or take a hydro sample w/o draining beer all over.

You sir, are a genus!  It seems to me the slower flow rate would help prevent splashing/oxidation.  Plus you are filling from underneath.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:15 am »

this is what I have done for years. Surprisese when o fond out howamy people have not thought about this option.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:06:29 am »
I use the hot water method and have a 8" length of straight copper tubing I use on one end to weigh it down and keep it in the bottom of my kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis