Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to buy thiolized omega strains on Quebec  (Read 576 times)

Offline vzh

• 1st Kit
Where to buy thiolized omega strains on Quebec
« on: December 24, 2022, 03:57:16 pm »
Hi everybody, 1st post on forum and i think here its the best place to put my thoughts.

Here in EU is not possible to get gm strains. A friend of mine will stay on Quebec a few weeks in January and im looking for homebrewers suppliers to ship omega yeast 402-404-405 and phantasm powder there.
I only found one supplier, morebeer, but shipping fees are close to 100$ for 6 yeast packs, a bit expensive from my pov.

Somebody can suggest another supplier with new thiolized omega yeast that ships to Canada?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 04:01:00 pm by vzh »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Where to buy thiolized omega strains on Quebec
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 09:56:59 am »
https://escarpmentlabs.com/collections/newcomers

Escarpment Yeast lab in based in Canada so shipping might be less costly?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 10:12:23 am »
i got an email a bit ago that a certain bioengineered(?) omega yeast was just recently cleared for sale in canada, but cant remember if its a thiolized one or not

also https://escarpmentlabs.com/collections/newcomers/products/thiol-libre

yeah, they do have some thiol yeast, but funny warning: don't use pilsner malt? lol

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 11:30:11 am »
i got an email a bit ago that a certain bioengineered(?) omega yeast was just recently cleared for sale in canada, but cant remember if its a thiolized one or not

yeah, they do have some thiol yeast, but funny warning: don't use pilsner malt? lol

That's because most thiol precursors come from malt. For maximum thiols it's recommended to use a flavorful craft malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 03:56:01 pm »

That's because most thiol precursors come from malt. For maximum thiols it's recommended to use a flavorful craft malt.
Actually, the way it's worded in the description, it sounds like Pilsner malt may increase the likelihood of the production of phenolic compounds during fermentation. From the FAQ:

UPDATE, APRIL 2022: Based on user feedback, we do not recommend using North American Pilsner malts with Thiol Libre as this increases risk of undesirable phenolics. We have had excellent results with North American pale malts as well as English base malts.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 08:49:07 am »

Actually, the way it's worded in the description, it sounds like Pilsner malt may increase the likelihood of the production of phenolic compounds during fermentation. From the FAQ:

UPDATE, APRIL 2022: Based on user feedback, we do not recommend using North American Pilsner malts with Thiol Libre as this increases risk of undesirable phenolics. We have had excellent results with North American pale malts as well as English base malts.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell