Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Prices  (Read 1147 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
CO2 Prices
« on: December 29, 2022, 12:12:42 pm »
CO2 regulator was reading near empty on the current 20lb tank. Apprehensive due to reading about CO2 price increases. Went to my normal gas distributor in Manassas Park, VA. Swapped out my empty 20lb CO2 tank for a filled 20lb CO2 tank. $39.82 (this included taxes haz mat fee and maintenance fee). IMO, ~ $40.00 for 20lbs is reasonable for food grade CO2.

BTW, after 20lbs of CO2 what is the next size up?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: CO2 Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 12:53:53 pm »
I have seen no price increases or shortage here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
I think 50 lb tanks are available, at least purportedly available on the internet.  There may be local regulations that limit home use sizes, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 06:24:22 pm »
I spent $40 last month on a 5#tank & a 10# tank. Prices have gone up slightly in my area.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 06:25:49 pm »
It is a local problem.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline QueenOfAllBeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 03:07:16 pm »
There are tanks of all different sizes  -  I prefer 20lb but for toting mobile jockey box, the 2.5 lbs is perfect!
Mongo like candy....

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CO2 Prices
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 07:28:17 am »
Well, I experienced an eye opener yesterday. My normal place to refill couldn’t do it because my tank needed a hydrostatic test. It would have been next week before I would get it back from testing and refill.

The guy there is pretty cool and we discussed the shortage. He said when he heard about the shortage he had his huge tank topped off to ride out the storm.

Anyway, wanting CO2 prior to next week, I went to a locally owned welder’s supply house which is my old exchange place. He didn’t have any available and said he’s been experiencing problems getting them. So, I went to a national chain which is my secondary exchange source.

The cost of the exchange was $25 which is ~$10 more than the refill. But the kicker was ~$11 environmental fee. Add in the ~$3 tax and I was out the door for just under $40. …for a 5 lb bottle
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:12:26 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 09:44:18 am »
Just got one filled  here for a little over half that.  Continues to seem to be regional.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 04:57:13 pm »
The cost of the exchange was $25 which is ~$10 more than the refill. But the kicker was ~$11 environmental fee. Add in the ~$3 tax and I was out the door for just under $40. …for a 5 lb bottle

Dang! Only 5lbs