Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs Pure Pitch Next Generation  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: White Labs Pure Pitch Next Generation
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 07:46:03 am »
Interesting. For small batch brewers like myself it looks like a convenient way to get multiple pitches out of one pack.

I'm also a small batch (2.5gal) brewer and I'm finding these Next Gen Pure Pitch pouches to be really annoying.  I don't want to be measuring out yeast and storing open pouches in my fridge for some indeterminate amount of time.  So now I either need to pitch a full pouch into 2.5gal (White Labs tells me this is fine but it would be a huge overpitch and it would be rather expensive to say the least) or plan back-to-back beers using the same yeast.  Meh.

Unfortunately, White Labs no longer offers the old, lower cell count (and cheaper!) pouches.  So, has anyone partially used - then recapped the Next Gen pouches?  According to WL, opening and recapping the pouch does not affect its storage life...still 6 months from the day it was born.

If there weren't a few strains in particular that I really liked I would just move on to another brand.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 08:03:30 am »
I use dry yeast most of the time now, somewhat for the reason noted.  I typically will make a low ABV beer as starting point, then repitch and move into a bigger ABV beer from there.  I make mostly lagers, so I have no problem re-pitching several batches in sequence and then moving on to a different strain.  I rarely have 2 beers fermenting at the same time, but occasionally I will have an ale going and a lager going, with each strain harvested for subsequent batches (Bitters for ales and all types of lager beers for the lager strain.)

As to the Meh comment, I appreciate the desire to experiment with different strains, but many smaller brewers have only one or two strains and are making several styles with them.  It can be done.  By the same token, the multitude of yeast strains really makes it a home brewers paradise of choices to fit a particular style.

Perhaps storage of the pure pitch pouch can be down in a sanitizer solution?  Just a thought.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 01:47:08 pm »
Interesting. For small batch brewers like myself it looks like a convenient way to get multiple pitches out of one pack.

I'm also a small batch (2.5gal) brewer and I'm finding these Next Gen Pure Pitch pouches to be really annoying.  I don't want to be measuring out yeast and storing open pouches in my fridge for some indeterminate amount of time.  So now I either need to pitch a full pouch into 2.5gal (White Labs tells me this is fine but it would be a huge overpitch and it would be rather expensive to say the least) or plan back-to-back beers using the same yeast.  Meh.

Unfortunately, White Labs no longer offers the old, lower cell count (and cheaper!) pouches.  So, has anyone partially used - then recapped the Next Gen pouches?  According to WL, opening and recapping the pouch does not affect its storage life...still 6 months from the day it was born.

If there weren't a few strains in particular that I really liked I would just move on to another brand.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Us small batch brewers are not the core homebrewing market for yeast labs. They're competing against the convenience of the expanding dry yeast selection which doesn't require starters and extra days to prep for a brewday or buying $20 of yeast to forego a starter. Eventually, they'll probably all move to this model. For now, if Wyeast is available to you, their pouches are pretty much fine to pitch without a starter into a 2.5 gallon batch.

There are solutions to extend the life of yeast in your fridge if you have the space and desire.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 03:08:08 pm »
Yeah, I certainly understand that small batch brewers are (rightfully so) not White Labs (or anyone’s) main concern.  And to ynot’s point, I should be thankful for the many yeast choices available to this hobby.  It’s just a small annoyance is all.

I don’t do anything with yeast other than open the pouch and pitch.  I’m stupid, so I keep it simple. At least I’ve learned that much.  :)

I like White Labs.  I’ve had a lot of success with their products and want to keep using them, correctly.  If it were as simple as switching to another brand I probably would but I’m not sure there are clear subs elsewhere.

WLP080?
WLP940?

I guess all I was looking for was experience from anyone who had only used a partial pouch of Next Gen.  Is it as simple as screwing the cap back on and sticking it back in the fridge, like I would with milk?  Just keep an eye on the expiration date?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 03:41:28 pm »
I don't have much experience with pitching less than a full pouch/vial/package, but if I were going to do that with the new pouches from White Labs (for a small batch, for example), I would consider spraying it well with sanitizer and then re-capping, then putting the pouch in a sanitized ziploc baggie generously sprayed inside and out with the sanitizer.  That should be a pretty good sanitization approach.  I have done it once with dry yeast in a similar way - only using the dry yeast for de-oxygenating some strike water, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 04:12:18 pm »
With the introduction or Purepitch, WL double the cost to my LHBS thereby making the retail price $18. They decided to stop carrying WL products and only do special orders. Not a fan of WL for sticking it to the little guy.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 07:31:24 pm »
With the introduction or Purepitch, WL double the cost to my LHBS thereby making the retail price $18. They decided to stop carrying WL products and only do special orders. Not a fan of WL for sticking it to the little guy.

this honestly really takes the wind out of my sails since I had been dailing in which white labs strains i enjoyed, they were ranging from $9.49 to $10.49 a pack just one year ago. my online HBS had to/has decided to switch to the next generation ones. prices now range from $15.49 up to $19.99!!! i make a starter anyway so this purepitch does nothing special for me. also whitelab's dry yeast is priced at $13.99/pack - lol - what? if i want a WLP001 dry substitute i will use bry97 for $4.99 a pack (so far)

the other liquid yeast option is escarpment but they dont have a bunch of styles i want/learned about and i wasn't impressed so far with the one type i have tried.

im not happy with both whitelabs and my online HBS, since the latter stopped selling omega which i did love and had decent pricing.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2023, 07:36:59 am »
I think they doubled their cell count to compete with Imperial.  Evidently, their production costs are higher which translates to the retail cost.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 04:26:32 pm »
 My LHBS now mainly carries Wyeast and Fermentis, which is fine with me. I can find anything I want between the two.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 01:25:44 pm »
As I remember, White Labs was adamant for many years that their standard vials were good for a 5 gallon batch. I wonder if they have changed their minds, or if they're just keeping up with home brewers who think the vials are insufficient.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2023, 08:48:30 am »
Is it as simple as screwing the cap back on and sticking it back in the fridge, like I would with milk?

I'd be willing to bet that would work just fine.  I'd probably spray the cap and the threads with some sanitizer first.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2023, 09:46:08 pm »
not to keep beating a dead horse but my online HBS just jacked up the new white labs another notch. got WLP008 going for $21.49.

its just a bummer because there really was a peak time when i had great selection but still old school pricing and now there seems to be virtually no upward limit on yeast and a slow creep on everything else. about 2 years ago i thought i was completely set in terms of homebrew supply options and now suddenly i am making purchases in advance of intended brewing because im paranoid (and just this week proven correct - i ordered before the hike on most products) the prices will rise.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2023, 06:28:43 pm »

i saved some WLP833 from last winter/spring and have fed it into a starter and then a partigyle wort of about 7 litres to build up a nice amount and swo i can confirm that it tastes good/right.

ill be saving yeast from now on i think and using more dry yeast than i had expected i would. sad.

edit: what the hell are they thinking? i dont understand the pricing at all.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:30:22 pm by fredthecat »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2023, 09:32:30 pm »
I'm done with White Labs.  I recently bought a pack of WLP833 for like $18.  The beer turned out great, but I can get great beer for half the price anywhere else.  When I bought it, it made me sick and I really didn't want to do it but I hadn't used this yeast in a long time and wanted it bad.  Not bad enough anymore.  Everybody else is doing it better.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2023, 09:47:10 pm »
I'm done with White Labs.  I recently bought a pack of WLP833 for like $18.  The beer turned out great, but I can get great beer for half the price anywhere else.  When I bought it, it made me sick and I really didn't want to do it but I hadn't used this yeast in a long time and wanted it bad.  Not bad enough anymore.  Everybody else is doing it better.

its crazy,and yes in truth i have a regional yeast option - escarpment labs - but their strains tend towards current trendy stuff ie. hazy english, clean lagers,  kveiks etc. with limited variety.

it just feels like a huge step backwards to say 2010 homebrewing (in canada not america) for me finally after things started getting good.

im p much at the point of spiting white labs.