Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Beers in Braumeister: Will Extract Hurt Flavor?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Big Beers in Braumeister: Will Extract Hurt Flavor?
« on: January 09, 2023, 03:52:39 pm »
I am back in the brewing game after about 16 years off, and I got myself a used Braumeister because I am lazy. I just made an ale, and I like the Braumeister just fine. Problem: I have read that in order to make heavy beers, I will have to resort to adding extract because the Braumeister's grain capacity is limited. I have the 20-liter machine.

I have never made an extract beer. The obvious question is this: will adding extract to all-grain wort diminish the quality of the beer?

As I recall, Denny Conn was the big-beer expert back in the old days.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Big Beers in Braumeister: Will Extract Hurt Flavor?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 04:27:21 pm »
Have no fear.  You can supplement any recipe with pale DME as needed and turn out a great product.

I would avoid LME however, it stales much too quickly.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 04:30:45 pm »
I have read that some people think extracts get a bad rap because kits that include hops in the mix aren't so great.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 07:59:59 am »
I have read that some people think extracts get a bad rap because kits that include hops in the mix aren't so great.

I don't think it was necessarily the hops in the extract. More likely stale LME, as Dave said. Hopped LME isn't all that common any more. But DME is a very viable ingredient, especially for bumping up a high OG AG beer. My experience is that it won't diminish quality. Likely you'll never know it's there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 08:34:06 am »
It is no secret that many Breweries will use DME on big beers that exceed their mash tun capacity.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 08:55:54 am »
Thanks, everyone.

Nice to get a response from you, Denny. You gave me a lot of advice long ago, when I was using another handle on rec.crafts.brewing. I wonder if any of those guys are still kicking.

I had a transforming experience with Rasputin Imperial Stout over the last few days, so I may be asking more questions about big beers. Maybe I'm headed for your side of the fence.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 09:19:56 am »
Thanks, everyone.

Nice to get a response from you, Denny. You gave me a lot of advice long ago, when I was using another handle on rec.crafts.brewing. I wonder if any of those guys are still kicking.

I had a transforming experience with Rasputin Imperial Stout over the last few days, so I may be asking more questions about big beers. Maybe I'm headed for your side of the fence.

I seem to really develop a taste for OR in the winter when it's cold and rainy. Probably drink more of it than I should!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 09:21:41 am »
I am back in the brewing game after about 16 years off, and I got myself a used Braumeister because I am lazy. I just made an ale, and I like the Braumeister just fine. Problem: I have read that in order to make heavy beers, I will have to resort to adding extract because the Braumeister's grain capacity is limited. I have the 20-liter machine.

You could make a smaller volume batch.
Denny still is the man.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 09:23:06 am »

Denny still is the man.

Thanks, Steve. I think you meant to say "old man"

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 09:24:28 am »

Denny still is the man.

Thanks, Steve. I think you meant to say "old man"
Not to someone younger than me kid. 😉
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 09:26:51 am »
I seem to really develop a taste for OR in the winter when it's cold and rainy. Probably drink more of it than I should!

Now I have to ask what OR is.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 10:15:52 am »
Old Rasputin
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 11:05:00 am »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Big Beers in Braumeister: Will Extract Hurt Flavor?
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 11:27:03 am »
Didn’t Jim do reiterated mash technique to brew high test to overcome his MLT capacity here?

Chris Colby wrote about the technique in BYO but did a visual tutorial on grainfather.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:00:47 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 03:34:15 pm »
Didn’t Jim do reiterated mash technique to brew high test to overcome his MLT capacity here?

Chris Colby wrote about the technique in BYO but did a visual tutorial on grainfather.

You can do that.  I find adding extract much easier and produces nearly identical results. But my experience with double mashing is limited to about 3 trials.  I guess because I found it to be a PITA! ;)

www.dennybrew.com