Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Mashing/Brew System  (Read 5054 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Best Mashing/Brew System
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 02:22:16 pm »
I have brewed on a number of systems, from old fashioned 3 vessel to high tech all in ones.  The Grainfather G40 is dead and shoulders above anything else I've ever used.  The build quality and functionality is superb, and cleanup is dead easy. If you don't need connectivity, the S40 is the same great design for 1/3 the price of the G40.
Denny- I've heard you sing the praises of Grainfather many many times- no doubt it's a good system.  I also remember you mentioning on your postcast that Grainfather loaned you systems to evaluate & they sponsor your podcast.  Did they give you a permanent loan?  Just curious- nothing wrong with getting stuff for free in my book.

I guess you'd call it long term. I have it until they ask for it back.   And I need to make it clear that the fact that we were loaned this equipment has nothing to do with my review. If that was the case, you'd hear me speaking positively about other equipment we've been loaned, too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:39:20 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2022, 03:56:56 pm »
I have brewed on a number of systems, from old fashioned 3 vessel to high tech all in ones.  The Grainfather G40 is dead and shoulders above anything else I've ever used.  The build quality and functionality is superb, and cleanup is dead easy. If you don't need connectivity, the S40 is the same great design for 1/3 the price of the G40.
Denny- I've heard you sing the praises of Grainfather many many times- no doubt it's a good system.  I also remember you mentioning on your postcast that Grainfather loaned you systems to evaluate & they sponsor your podcast.  Did they give you a permanent loan?  Just curious- nothing wrong with getting stuff for free in my book.

I guess you'd call it long term. I have it until they ask for it back.   And I need to make it clear that the fact that we were loaned this equipment has nothing to do with my review. If that was the case, you'd hear me speaking positively about other equipment we've been loaned, too.
Fair enough- both you and Drew seem to sing it's praises- sounds like a good relationship you have with them.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 06:09:52 pm »

The trouble with this list is there's still a gap in the ~10L batch size range. I would love something with a, say, 16L capacity geared towards 8-12L batches.  IME, Gigawort only holds ±5°F and tends to scorch, but I can't really justify $2700 for a 10L Braumeister.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2022, 04:51:28 am »
For smaller batch sizes, the Anvil Foundry 6.5 gallon size would work from 10 liters up to around 4 gallons….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2022, 05:57:34 am »
You don't have to spend a lot of money on an "all-in-one" system to make great beers.
From what I understand you are saying that only the necessary parts of the system should be purchased, right?

Take a look at dennybrew.com for an alternative

Ha! I didn't realize this was an old post I had already responded to.

Offline Ashmore.za

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 04:35:33 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for my next step in brewing. I have been homebrewing for a few years now, but I have done very little all-grain brewing. The all-grain I have done has been brew in a bag, which is a pain. I'm highly interested in the science behind brewing and looking for a system that requires me to be closely involved in the brewing process.

I was wondering about getting something like the Grainfather, BrewZilla, or anything like that, as recommended by a friend who also brews. For the longest time I was set on converting a cooler into a mash-tun, but these all mashing systems seem great. I want something that has me involved in the brewing process and that is highly efficient. Please let me know the pros and cons of the systems you guys have any recommendations.

Electric SS brewtech series with 2V or 3V controller. IMO 3V. If money isn’t an issue.