Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsgnar Clone  (Read 494 times)

Offline Surfer801

• 1st Kit
Pilsgnar Clone
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:31:28 am »
Hello all,

Wondering who here has tried Melvin Brewery's Pilsgnar and if they could help with some ideas for a clone. This is probably my favorite pilsner I have tried with strong floral notes and almost soapy taste. Soapy sounds like a strange taste to describe in a beer, but it fits very well in this pilsner. Very refreshing and modern flavor. I'm new to home brewing so feel pretty lost as to where to start with such a beer, other than to load up a light and crisp grain bill with lots of floral-forward hops. Perhaps a strong hop stand? Anyone else try this beer and maybe have some ideas?

-Ryan

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pilsgnar Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 02:19:03 pm »
Heard about the brewery and a club member had his BOS Vienna Lager brewed there once.  My guess is the soapy taste you are experiencing could be herbal notes from hops, or as a WAG, it could be use of some cilantro:

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-4588073

Again, it is just a guess.  Hopefully, someone with first hand knowledge can give input on this.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Surfer801

• 1st Kit
Re: Pilsgnar Clone
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 05:27:54 pm »
Heard about the brewery and a club member had his BOS Vienna Lager brewed there once.  My guess is the soapy taste you are experiencing could be herbal notes from hops, or as a WAG, it could be use of some cilantro:

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-4588073

Again, it is just a guess.  Hopefully, someone with first hand knowledge can give input on this.  Cheers!

Thank you ynot, it's a great brewery out of WY -haven't been disappointed in any of their beers -I'd recommend trying the pilsner and their blonde if you ever get the chance!