Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Quadrupel ideas  (Read 28958 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Quadrupel ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »
Hey Denny... I am looking to brew a La Trappe Quad and have read every post in this thread. I was wondering how everything came out?

The La Trappe is a bit lighter in color so I was going to use the D-90 to get down to the 19-22 SRM range. Does this sound like the right direction?

Did you keg or bottle? The La Trappe I have been exposed to at my local watering hole is on tap and is very good so I was going to age half in a keg and half in the bottle.

Any pointers would be much appreciated..

With just over a year of age on it, the beer is great!  It was good younger, but it just keeps getting better.  For your beer, I'd worry more about the flavor than the color.  The D90 doesn't have as much flavor, but for all I know it might work great for what you have in mind.  I almost never bottle, but I bottled this batch in order to be sure I could age some.  It was worth the effort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Michael Julian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:21 pm »
Very good point... I was thinking along the lines that the color can drive the flavor to some extent. The La Trappe Quad I have tasted has some what of a dark fruit flavor but also a decent caramel flavor. Overall fairly malty smooth. I was thinking the 180 might make it a little more on the roasty side. I have not used either as I tend to brew more on the German side...

Offline Michael Julian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2012, 08:04:09 pm »
I am pitching the Wyeast 3787 to ferment. I plan to use the same to bottle ferment. Any advice on how much yeast to re-pitch to get the bottles carbed?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:34 am »
Very good point... I was thinking along the lines that the color can drive the flavor to some extent. The La Trappe Quad I have tasted has some what of a dark fruit flavor but also a decent caramel flavor. Overall fairly malty smooth. I was thinking the 180 might make it a little more on the roasty side. I have not used either as I tend to brew more on the German side...

Nope, I don't get any "roasty" out of the D180.  Figs, rum, caramel.....but not roasty.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline meegs

• 1st Kit
    • Meg-Ale.com
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 06:38:03 pm »
I'm working on a Quad recipe with Boulevard's Sixth Glass in mind as kind of a target.  This thread was very useful to me.  Thanks!
Just Brew It Man!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 07:00:43 pm »
Sixth Glass is a very nice beer.  I've brewed a lot of Quads (my favorite high OG style) but the Herman Holtrop Rochefort 8 clone (which I use to bump up to get in the neighborhood of 10) posted by Denny on NB is pretty much my favorite. I have other recipes , but I keep coming back, if nothing else as a base to build on.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:04:06 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 07:12:08 pm »
Sixth Glass is a very nice beer.  I've brewed a lot of Quads (my favorite high OG style) but the Herman Holtrop Rochefort 8 clone (which I use to bump up to get in the neighborhood of 10) posted by Denny on NB is pretty much my favorite. I have other recipes , but I keep coming back, if nothing else as a base to build on.
My bad , here it is...

#304 Rochefort 8

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.58
Anticipated OG: 1.079 Plato: 19.08
Anticipated SRM: 28.4
Anticipated IBU: 28.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.25 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG 14.71 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.9 12.25 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
9.0 1.50 lbs. CaraMunich 80 France 1.034 80
6.0 1.00 lbs. Dark Candi Syrup 1.031 80
4.2 0.70 lbs. Cane Sugar 1.047 0
3.0 0.50 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
3.0 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 114
0.8 0.13 lbs. Sinamar (BYO) Carafa extract 1.000 1000

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.70 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 21.3 60 min.
0.60 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.00 5.8 30 min.
0.40 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.00 1.0 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.36 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 5 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp CaCO3 Other 0 Min.(mash)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: Rochefort mash

Total Grain Lbs: 14.88
Total Water Qts: 16.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 4.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.13
Grain Temp: 63.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
beta 0 30 140 137 Infuse 158 16.00 1.08
alpha 0 60 154 154 Infuse 212 5.56 1.45

Total Water Qts: 21.56 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.39 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 6.58 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:56:09 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2023, 10:25:59 am »
Update for those who care....

Yesterday was exactly 30 days since brewing.  I overcame my fear of carboys, got one out of storage and sanitized it and xferred the beer from the bucket primary.  Of course, I had to take a gravity reading and have a taste.  I took a 16 0x. hydrometer sample and after getting a reading (1.016, from an OG of 1.104) I put the sample in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap, hit it with 30 psi and out it in the freezer for 45 min. for a taste.

OH
MY
GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is shaping up to be one of the best beers I've ever made.  Rich, complex dark fruit flavors.  Virtually no hint of alcohol heat, even at only 30 days old and 11.6% ABV.  I kept sipping it slowly trying to find problems....I couldn't.  I just wanted to drink more of it!  I'm thinking that some caramelized raisins or figs would work great in it, but I don't think I want to cover up or overwhelm the flavors that are in there already.  I'm certain that a large part of the flavor is due to the D-180 syrup.  It definitely has similarities to the D2, but I think it has more fruitiness and complexity to it.

I know this is an old thread but I am looking to brew something like this and wonder if there is anything about your recipe you would change.  I noticed you didn't use Special B is that because those flavors were covered with the dark candi sugar?  I do have an affinity for the fig/raisin flavors and wondering if you would recommend adding carmelized fruit to secondary?  Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2023, 12:21:19 pm »
Update for those who care....

Yesterday was exactly 30 days since brewing.  I overcame my fear of carboys, got one out of storage and sanitized it and xferred the beer from the bucket primary.  Of course, I had to take a gravity reading and have a taste.  I took a 16 0x. hydrometer sample and after getting a reading (1.016, from an OG of 1.104) I put the sample in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap, hit it with 30 psi and out it in the freezer for 45 min. for a taste.

OH
MY
GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is shaping up to be one of the best beers I've ever made.  Rich, complex dark fruit flavors.  Virtually no hint of alcohol heat, even at only 30 days old and 11.6% ABV.  I kept sipping it slowly trying to find problems....I couldn't.  I just wanted to drink more of it!  I'm thinking that some caramelized raisins or figs would work great in it, but I don't think I want to cover up or overwhelm the flavors that are in there already.  I'm certain that a large part of the flavor is due to the D-180 syrup.  It definitely has similarities to the D2, but I think it has more fruitiness and complexity to it.

I know this is an old thread but I am looking to brew something like this and wonder if there is anything about your recipe you would change.  I noticed you didn't use Special B is that because those flavors were covered with the dark candi sugar?  I do have an affinity for the fig/raisin flavors and wondering if you would recommend adding carmelized fruit to secondary?  Cheers!

Yes, it's because of the D180 candi syrup. For me, it would be no fruit. Why not try it as is first to see what you think?

www.dennybrew.com