Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish Light (60/-)  (Read 778 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Scottish Light (60/-)
« on: February 09, 2023, 11:01:10 am »
This thread has sent me on the trail for a nice Scottish Light (60/-) recipe.   :)

Of course, that trail was bound to lead to Pattinson's Barclay Perkins blog.
https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/07/scottish-pale-ale-grists-1948-1965.html

Interesting that these recipes call for Pale and either Flaked Maize or Barley, with Invert and (sometimes) Black Malt.  Pretty simple beers.

How's this look:

85% Maris Otter
11% Flaked Maize
4% Roasted Barley

Mash at 155°.
Also, pull some of the mash and boil it down to a bit of syrup, add it back to the boil.

15-20 IBU's at the top of the boil.
A sprinkle of EKG at the end.

WLP028 or WY1728

1.035 OG
SRM 11-12
ABV 3.2-3.5 depending on attenuation.

Thoughts?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Scottish Light (60/-)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 11:11:54 am »
Do Scottish brewers do the boil for a 60 schilling? Many homebrewery do that for a Scotch Ale.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:24:24 am »
Good question. I really have no idea but thought it might add a bit of caramel flavor without using any actual caramel malt.  I would love to hear more thoughts on that.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Scottish Light (60/-)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 02:22:06 pm »
I am collecting RO water for my 175th brewday since AL made Homebrewing legal which will be a tip of the hat to Belhaven 60/-.  Mr Wheeler says it is an excellent example of a Scottish Mild with just 87.3% Pale Malt, 2.7% Crystal malt, 3.6% Black malt and 6.4% sugar.

Though he does state to boil the wort 90 min, he doesn’t indicate drawing off the wort and boiling it down to a syrup.  He also has a recipe for Belhaven 80/- and 90/- neither of which call for boiling down the wort to a syrup either. This may or may not be authentic but I think I’ll follow his lead for this one.

In his discussion of the sugar he does recommend invert so I made some invert syrup to use in my version of this recipe.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:41:32 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 03:15:45 pm »
I am collecting RO water for my 175th brewday since AL made Homebrewing legal which will be a tip of the hat to Belhaven 60/-.  Mr Wheeler says it is an excellent example of a Scottish Mild with just 87.3% Pale Malt, 2.7% Crystal malt, 3.6% Black malt and 6.4% sugar.

Though he does state to boil the wort 90 min, he doesn’t indicate drawing off the wort and boiling it down to a syrup.  He also has a recipe for Belhaven 80/- and 90/- neither of which call for boiling down the wort to a syrup either. This may or may not be authentic but I think I’ll follow his lead for this one.

In his discussion of the sugar he does recommend invert so I made some invert syrup to use in my version of this recipe.

As far as I know, the boildown is a recent (last 20 years) homebrewer invention. It is an attempt to recreate a flavor,  not an authentic procedure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 03:57:06 pm »

As far as I know, the boildown is a recent (last 20 years) homebrewer invention. It is an attempt to recreate a flavor,  not an authentic procedure.

I’ve recently used the boil-down for a Brown Ale and I *think* it added some depth to the beer, but that's anecdotal in the extreme.

As Denny says, my thought with boiling some wort down to a syrup here is to create a caramel flavor, maybe give some fullness…if that makes sense.  Whether this technique is historically accurate isn’t really a concern.

I’m not committed, just thought it might help.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 06:10:04 pm by Megary »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 05:46:16 pm »
This is going back a ways for me, but I seem to recall Scotrat’s Traquair House used a separate boil down to achieve a unique flavor similar to an invert gives some Brit styles.  But whether it does or not, I just don’t remember clearly, though I recall doing it at least once.  The real way I do recall for making a 60/- Scot ale was to take the second runnings of a wee heavy and adding a bit of DME to get the right OG.  I did that with a neighbor’s Wee Heavy that he was going to toss the grains on and it was quite good.  Partigyle essentially…
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 08:08:52 pm »
I tried the boil down approach once with a Scottish ale. It was a pain in the a$$ and I don't think it added anything to the flavor. I'm not sure I boiled it down enough, but I did as much as I had the time and patience for. Now I just use Golden Promise with a bit of Special B and a bit of roasted barley.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

Scottish Light (60/-)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 04:45:03 am »
… Golden Promise with a bit of Special B and a bit of roasted barley.

+1  They are very straightforward recipes it seems.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 07:01:58 am »
I tried the boil down approach once with a Scottish ale. It was a pain in the a$$ and I don't think it added anything to the flavor. I'm not sure I boiled it down enough, but I did as much as I had the time and patience for. Now I just use Golden Promise with a bit of Special B and a bit of roasted barley.

Interesting.  I'm wondering why boiling some wort was such a PITA?  I did this a few months ago with a Brown Ale and it was just a matter of ladling out some mash and reducing it in a small pot.  The process gets started as the wort is coming to a boil and is finished long before the boil is over (for my 3-gal batches, that's ≈ 48oz reduced to a syrupy 12, give or take).  I won't argue the fact that it may not have added much to the flavor as I had nothing to compare it to, but I thought it did.  I'd happily try this again and I would think *IF* boiling down adds anything, it would show up in a simple 60/-.

I'm personally not a fan of Special B and honestly, I don't see why a 60/- needs anything other than a Pale malt and a touch of roast. 2 grains, period.  Flaked Maize and Invert show up in Pattinson's blog, but I don't think either are necessary.  Does the flaked maize help put the "light" in the Scottish Light?  Personal preference, I suppose.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 08:28:51 am »
This is going back a ways for me, but I seem to recall Scotrat’s Traquair House used a separate boil down to achieve a unique flavor similar to an invert gives some Brit styles.  But whether it does or not, I just don’t remember clearly, though I recall doing it at least once.  The real way I do recall for making a 60/- Scot ale was to take the second runnings of a wee heavy and adding a bit of DME to get the right OG.  I did that with a neighbor’s Wee Heavy that he was going to toss the grains on and it was quite good.  Partigyle essentially…

That's what I was referring to. That was the first I heard of it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 08:32:21 am »
As mentioned,  Scott came up,withheld boildown for a wee heavy. That's where I use it and have found it definitely makes a difference. How much of a difference depends on how far you boil it down. It seems that I need at least a 4:1 reduction. I have never tried it for any other style because I don't want that character in other beers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:34 am »
As mentioned,  Scott came up,withheld boildown for a wee heavy. That's where I use it and have found it definitely makes a difference. How much of a difference depends on how far you boil it down. It seems that I need at least a 4:1 reduction. I have never tried it for any other style because I don't want that character in other beers.

Can you explain "that character"?  I was hoping to get a bit of caramel-like flavor from boiling down a small portion of a mash that is essentially Maris Otter.  Pipe dream?

I also do wonder if boiling-down a small portion of the mash is all that much different than just extending the main boil...from say 60 to 90 minutes??

It'd be nice if I could go to the distributor and pick up a few different 60 shillings to see what I'm really after.  Yeah, good luck with that.  Right now, I'm chasing the BJCP guidelines.   ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 09:58:01 am »

Can you explain "that character"?  I was hoping to get a bit of caramel-like flavor from boiling down a small portion of a mash that is essentially Maris Otter.  Pipe dream?

I also do wonder if boiling-down a small portion of the mash is all that much different than just extending the main boil...from say 60 to 90 minutes??

It'd be nice if I could go to the distributor and pick up a few different 60 shillings to see what I'm really after.  Yeah, good luck with that.  Right now, I'm chasing the BJCP guidelines.   ;D

Caramel/toffee character is exactly what I get. I boil a gal down to less than a qt. Also seems to add some mouthfeel. I have found that boiling down less, so I end up with more than a qt., really decreases what I want from it. My experience with longer boils is that they don't give me the same character as a boildown because they don't concentrate the wort as much, or produce as intense Maillard reactions.

www.dennybrew.com