Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 Gallon batches (on Foundry 10.5?)  (Read 928 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
1 Gallon batches (on Foundry 10.5?)
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:44:13 am »
I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start experimenting with my own recipes, but I have a 10.5 Gallon Foundry and not sure it's really designed for it. I ran across a posting on another forum where it was discussed. Sounds possible, with caveats. How are y'all doing small experiment batches?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1 Gallon batches (on Foundry 10.5?)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 08:59:43 am »
I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start experimenting with my own recipes, but I have a 10.5 Gallon Foundry and not sure it's really designed for it. I ran across a posting on another forum where it was discussed. Sounds possible, with caveats. How are y'all doing small experiment batches?

In a pot on the stove.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 09:46:44 am »
You can go down to as small a size batch as you desire, if you mash your grain in a Brew in a Bag (BIAB); you might want to use the Brew in a Bag also as a hop bag, if you are concerned about containing hops to maximize wort recovery.  But, really, a pot on a stove for a gallon or so is pretty convenient, as Denny says.  Putting a colander in the pot/Foundry can help keep the bag off the bottom of the container, or simply clip it to the side of the pot to suspend it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 10:22:57 am »
For the older style Anvil 10.5 you will need to get their small batch adapter ring but even then the optimum small batch is about 2.5 gallons.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 03:50:34 am »
As always, thanks all. The collander is a neat idea.  I do have the older foundry but yeah, 2.5 gallons is a bit more than what I wanted to mess with. I'll dig out my 3 gallon pot and give it a go. From what I recall, the biggest annoyance going that route was chilling the wort but I think my Foundry chiller will fit in the pot.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 04:41:49 am »
With a one gallon batch, an ice bath in the kitchen sink should chill it pretty quickly, I should think.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 07:21:12 am »
With a one gallon batch, an ice bath in the kitchen sink should chill it pretty quickly, I should think.

That's a good point. I need to keep reminding myself I'm not dealing with 6+ gallons of wort.

...start with tap water then switch to chilled water / ice bath when the temperature difference between the water and wort) is about 30* F.

Interesting. Are you doing this to get better utilization out of the ice?

Offline BrewBama

1 Gallon batches (on Foundry 10.5?)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 08:04:30 am »
I do something very similar:  I use my HERMS vessel to cool my wort by draining the hot water I used to maintain mash temp and replace it with cool tap water. I stir the water as the wort circulates thru the coil. I again replace the water jacket with cool water and stir. By then I am ~100°F (within 30°-40°F of pitch temp). I then drain the warm water jacket and add ice. I stir the ice, and ultimately cold water, until I hit pitch temp. All in all, ~5.5 gal from boiling temp to pitching temp in ~20-30 minutes. Stirring makes a HUGE difference in how fast I chill.

I got one of those countertop ice makers for the ice. I semi like it because it does make all the ice I need (3 gal ≈ 24 lbs), but I have to stay on it because it is a small unit.  By that I mean I have to keep the water topped up and keep the ice tray emptied. It’s definitely not set it and forget it, one day you add water and the next you have 24 lbs of ice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:08:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 08:40:54 am »

Or do no chill

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 11:07:15 am »
Is there published (and reviewed) content on "true" (sealed container) no chill for 1 and 2.5 gal batches?  Content that covers equipment, recipes (or recipe adjustments)? 

aside: yes, it's been on my list of things to 'web' search for a while; at the moment, it's still not a top 5 item.

It depends on what you mean by published and reviewed. Many of us who have done it have written about it and that writing has been confirmed by others who have done it. Ultimately the only review and research that matters is your own. Give it a try.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 01:21:19 pm »
Is there published (and reviewed) content on "true" (sealed container) no chill for 1 and 2.5 gal batches?  Content that covers equipment, recipes (or recipe adjustments)? 

aside: yes, it's been on my list of things to 'web' search for a while; at the moment, it's still not a top 5 item.

It depends on what you mean by published and reviewed. Many of us who have done it have written about it and that writing has been confirmed by others who have done it. Ultimately the only review and research that matters is your own. Give it a try.

Thanks.  Like I said, it's on my list of things to 'web search'.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2020/01/22/brew-files-episode-80-chill-out-or-dont/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 02:56:22 pm »

Probably still my favorite beer-based podcast subscription! When will it be in video format??? Cheers!

Thanks.  Like I said, it's on my list of things to 'web search'.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2020/01/22/brew-files-episode-80-chill-out-or-dont/