Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Full Flavor Table Beer  (Read 698 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Full Flavor Table Beer
« on: February 24, 2023, 01:49:18 pm »
After attending the SF Beer Week I am on a mission to brew a fuller body/taste table beer in the low 3% ABV range. I found this recipe online and am intrigued but welcome your thoughts and input. I am not too familiar with using rye. I am targeting something easy drinking but not thin and/or watery.

Pilsner Malt (61.9%)
Malted Rye (14.3%)
Flaked Malted Oats (11.9%)
Pale Wheat Malt (11.9%)
Styrian Goldings @ 60 (16 IBU)
Styrian Goldings @ 30 (8 IBU)

Wyeast 3711 French Saison Yeast
Mash @ 68C (154F) for 60 minutes
Boil for 60 minutes.

A couple of changes I've thought about are some lemon drop hops to provide a little citrus flavor/aroma, or even using a mixed fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Full Flavor Table Beer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 02:21:48 pm »
What I discovered trying to do the same is that maltster matters. I didn't have much luck with malt from the usual big companies. Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch. In your recipe, I'd to for either wheator oats, not both. Neither has a big flavor. Maybe some crystal or Munich instead.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:25:35 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 02:47:01 pm »
Currently in the discovery phase of brewing low ABV British/English/Scottish beers. From what I have read, the use of caramel/crystal malts will give that boost of flavor. There is also a school of thought that the use of those malts should be heavy handed but with judicious balance using abundant English hops.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 02:52:20 pm »
What I discovered trying to do the same is that maltster matters. I didn't have much luck with malt from the usual big companies. Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch. In your recipe, I'd to for either wheator oats, not both. Neither has a big flavor. Maybe some crystal or Munich instead.

Thank you.  maybe replace the wheat with some crystal malt.  What about adding some malto dextrin for mouth feel?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 04:26:37 pm »

Thank you.  maybe replace the wheat with some crystal malt.  What about adding some malto dextrin for mouth feel?

I think it's unnecessary. When I was developing my American mild recipe, I found that with a careful choice of malt, mash temp, and yeast, I got great mouthfeel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:58:41 am »
Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch.

+1

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 08:47:40 am »
The lowest ABV beer I have attempted had a starting OG of 1.020. 50/50 English pale ale malt and Briess carapils. Mashed hot single infusion at 162. 1968 yeast(one smackpack in 15 gallons)and a large dry hop(16 oz).

It finished at 1.010 and was quite drinkable. mashing hotter or adding some Munich malt were ideas for getting a higher final gravity.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 01:22:03 am »
3711 is a great choice for a low gravity beer. It leaves a lot of mouthfeel behind along with some acidity. The only thing to be aware of is that it will ferment bone dry (95-97% attenuation in my experience), so you need to target a lower starting gravity than you think. You don't need all the adjuncts or maltodextrin. A flavorful pilsner malt with maybe 30% flaked wheat targeting an OG of 1.025-1.030 should work just fine, although admittedly I haven't gone lower than 1.035 or so.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 07:32:56 am »
3711 is a great choice for a low gravity beer.

I've had decent results with BE-134 and Belle Saison, too.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 11:35:02 am »
Thanks for all the info gents.  I went with some good craft malts (mostly from Mecca) and replaced the wheat with some crystal malt.  I ended up going with a dry yeast - LalBrew Farmhouse due to some availability issues.  I will dry hop with an ounce of Lemon Drop.  Brew day is tomorrow!