Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Full Flavor Table Beer  (Read 676 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Full Flavor Table Beer
« on: February 24, 2023, 01:49:18 pm »
After attending the SF Beer Week I am on a mission to brew a fuller body/taste table beer in the low 3% ABV range. I found this recipe online and am intrigued but welcome your thoughts and input. I am not too familiar with using rye. I am targeting something easy drinking but not thin and/or watery.

Pilsner Malt (61.9%)
Malted Rye (14.3%)
Flaked Malted Oats (11.9%)
Pale Wheat Malt (11.9%)
Styrian Goldings @ 60 (16 IBU)
Styrian Goldings @ 30 (8 IBU)

Wyeast 3711 French Saison Yeast
Mash @ 68C (154F) for 60 minutes
Boil for 60 minutes.

A couple of changes I've thought about are some lemon drop hops to provide a little citrus flavor/aroma, or even using a mixed fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Full Flavor Table Beer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 02:21:48 pm »
What I discovered trying to do the same is that maltster matters. I didn't have much luck with malt from the usual big companies. Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch. In your recipe, I'd to for either wheator oats, not both. Neither has a big flavor. Maybe some crystal or Munich instead.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:25:35 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 02:47:01 pm »
Currently in the discovery phase of brewing low ABV British/English/Scottish beers. From what I have read, the use of caramel/crystal malts will give that boost of flavor. There is also a school of thought that the use of those malts should be heavy handed but with judicious balance using abundant English hops.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 02:52:20 pm »
What I discovered trying to do the same is that maltster matters. I didn't have much luck with malt from the usual big companies. Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch. In your recipe, I'd to for either wheator oats, not both. Neither has a big flavor. Maybe some crystal or Munich instead.

Thank you.  maybe replace the wheat with some crystal malt.  What about adding some malto dextrin for mouth feel?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 04:26:37 pm »

Thank you.  maybe replace the wheat with some crystal malt.  What about adding some malto dextrin for mouth feel?

I think it's unnecessary. When I was developing my American mild recipe, I found that with a careful choice of malt, mash temp, and yeast, I got great mouthfeel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:58:41 am »
Once I started using craft malt it all came together. When you use less amount of ingredients you get less flavor, so every ingredient needs to pack a punch.

+1

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 08:47:40 am »
The lowest ABV beer I have attempted had a starting OG of 1.020. 50/50 English pale ale malt and Briess carapils. Mashed hot single infusion at 162. 1968 yeast(one smackpack in 15 gallons)and a large dry hop(16 oz).

It finished at 1.010 and was quite drinkable. mashing hotter or adding some Munich malt were ideas for getting a higher final gravity.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 01:22:03 am »
3711 is a great choice for a low gravity beer. It leaves a lot of mouthfeel behind along with some acidity. The only thing to be aware of is that it will ferment bone dry (95-97% attenuation in my experience), so you need to target a lower starting gravity than you think. You don't need all the adjuncts or maltodextrin. A flavorful pilsner malt with maybe 30% flaked wheat targeting an OG of 1.025-1.030 should work just fine, although admittedly I haven't gone lower than 1.035 or so.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 07:32:56 am »
3711 is a great choice for a low gravity beer.

I've had decent results with BE-134 and Belle Saison, too.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 11:35:02 am »
Thanks for all the info gents.  I went with some good craft malts (mostly from Mecca) and replaced the wheat with some crystal malt.  I ended up going with a dry yeast - LalBrew Farmhouse due to some availability issues.  I will dry hop with an ounce of Lemon Drop.  Brew day is tomorrow!