Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: crown royal branded barrel bits  (Read 551 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
crown royal branded barrel bits
« on: February 26, 2023, 01:28:23 pm »

these are being sold in a barbecue wood section for 14.99 for a good kilogram in weight. any thoughts on these or experience? its a better price per weight than my online HBS and there are some good sized, bigger chunks in it.

also, lol crown royal = yay or nay? i had some a while ago for the first time in forever and it was surprisingly nice, but very canadian afaik.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: crown royal branded barrel bits
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 01:35:46 pm »

these are being sold in a barbecue wood section for 14.99 for a good kilogram in weight. any thoughts on these or experience? its a better price per weight than my online HBS and there are some good sized, bigger chunks in it.

also, lol crown royal = yay or nay? i had some a while ago for the first time in forever and it was surprisingly nice, but very canadian afaik.

Soak those bad boys in some Crown Whiskey to sanitize and toss everything into a beer made with some rye! Honestly don't have a taste for Crown BUT have had a few of their fruited option that were kept in the freezer and they weren't too bad. Made them more palatable

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 02:19:18 pm »

Soak those bad boys in some Crown Whiskey to sanitize and toss everything into a beer made with some rye! Honestly don't have a taste for Crown BUT have had a few of their fruited option that were kept in the freezer and they weren't too bad. Made them more palatable

lol. im looking for just stragithforward barrel/oak character, and yes the beer it will be used on is about 15% rye malt. rhere are some good canadian whiskeys that have come out over the past few years, but imho they are good by taking on more characteristics people expect in american whiskey/bourbon and done by craft distilleries. so really, theyre not defined by being canadian id say

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 07:25:42 am »
just as a note for anyone who finds this, i phoned the company and they said they do not treat them or add any chemicals/preservatives but they dont claim they are food grade  simply for legal reasons

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 03:29:30 pm »
Following this thread with curiosity as Crown is fairly popular in MN.  I might give it a shot with an imperial stout that I try to make annually to appease/interest the masses.  If anyone does try using these, I'd love to hear their thoughts.