Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ascorbic Acid  (Read 713 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Ascorbic Acid
« on: March 11, 2023, 10:25:39 am »
I brewed yesterday and used Ascorbic Acid for the first time. For a 3.5 gallon batch I added 0.35 tsp to the mash and 0.35 tsp with 5 minutes left in the boil. At the 5 minute mark the foam was massive and I turned down the power and stirred the wort to avoid a foam mess. Maybe I should have added the Ascorbic Acid in water before adding it to the boil?

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ascorbic Acid
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:23:12 am »
I’ve only used AA in the mash. I have been adding 1 tsp to 7.5-7.75 gal strike water (No Sparge) as an antioxidant. However, with my water and processes, I found I was getting low pH. In my last two beers I eliminated the AA from my recipe completely and found my mash at 5.3 and 5.4 at mash temp. I probably won’t be using it again.

One less thing.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:38:53 am by BrewBama »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Ascorbic Acid
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 04:53:17 am »
OK thanks!. I wondered if using Ascorbic Acid would lower the mash pH.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 09:06:00 am »
I don't use it - but I understand the shelf stability enhancement and oxygen scavenging aspects that others tout.  Like any acid, it will effect pH and that must be factored in when using it.  Here is one brewers take on Ascorbic Acid use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vriDv0XrJj0

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 09:34:19 am »
I don't use it - but I understand the shelf stability enhancement and oxygen scavenging aspects that others tout.  Like any acid, it will effect pH and that must be factored in when using it.  Here is one brewers take on Ascorbic Acid use:

Cheers.

Thanks for the comment I agree and Brewers Friend water calculator shows that. I got busy on brew day and forgot to take a mash pH reading :(
According to Brew Smith and Brewers Friend calculators mash pH should have been between 5.4 - 5.5. But I wished I checked the mash pH!

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 11:37:36 am »

Cheers.

Thanks for the comment I agree and Brewers Friend water calculator shows that. I got busy on brew day and forgot to take a mash pH reading :(
According to Brew Smith and Brewers Friend calculators mash pH should have been between 5.4 - 5.5. But I wished I checked the mash pH!
I usually add some lactic acid to my strike water for pH adjustment, especially when using mostly pale grains.  Can I substitute ascorbic acid?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 12:37:36 pm »

Cheers.
Thanks for the Genus brewing video link about Ascorbic Acid. From the video it appears that it doesn't effect mash pH so I would not use it to replace Lactic or Phosphoric acid.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 04:14:24 pm »

Cheers.

I usually add some lactic acid to my strike water for pH adjustment, especially when using mostly pale grains.  Can I substitute ascorbic acid?

I recall discussing this with someone....maybe Martin. The conclusion was that you'd have to use so much it would impact the flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 04:43:00 am »
Yeah, I don’t use it, so I haven’t checked the pH readings when using it, but it should be factored in, even if only using the suggested range of minimal additions.  It may not move the needle much at all.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"