Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canadian Homebrewers here  (Read 628 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Canadian Homebrewers here
« on: March 21, 2023, 03:55:28 pm »
Anyone noticed the massive price increases just in the first quarter of 2023?

Looks like the two big online homebrew retailers in Ontario have decided to switch to white labs pure pitch from the old small satchets you build up with a yeast starter. $23.99 at torontobrewing.ca. the pure pitches which seem to be replacing the small packs at OBK are 15.99 and up.

who the hell is continuing to keep up their pace of buying with price increases like this? i was getting whitelabs small packs for $9.49 in fall 2022, letting me chose a single pack for a beer to try if i wanted. and even that is higher than american prices.

sick of getting so ripped off for everything in canada, while simultaneously being worse/limited quality/selection

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Canadian Homebrewers here
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 04:28:47 pm »

Looks like the two big online homebrew retailers in Ontario have decided to switch to white labs pure pitch from the old small satchets you build up with a yeast starter. $23.99 at torontobrewing.ca. the pure pitches which seem to be replacing the small packs at OBK are 15.99 and up.

who the hell is continuing to keep up their pace of buying with price increases like this? i was getting whitelabs small packs for $9.49 in fall 2022, letting me chose a single pack for a beer to try if i wanted. and even that is higher than american prices.

sick of getting so ripped off for everything in canada, while simultaneously being worse/limited quality/selection

Fly to Mexico and enter the U.S. at Tijuana. Welcome!!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 08:21:50 pm »

Fly to Mexico and enter the U.S. at Tijuana. Welcome!!
Um, that's borderline there. In two ways.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 05:30:18 am »
You can still buy the smaller packs of White Labs yeast at OBK. Different prices for some though. Yea, the price has almost doubled. I always do an over build with every starter. Still cheaper than dry lager yeast by far. I do 5 - 6 over builds and buy another pack of yeast. I paid $12 for WLP830 last month and it is now $16. Not sure when these price increases will end. I just checked More Beer and their same yeast is $16 also, Well, with our dollar being lower than the US dollar, our yeast is 30% cheaper.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:33:17 am by 4dogbrewer »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:46:42 pm »
You can still buy the smaller packs of White Labs yeast at OBK. Different prices for some though. Yea, the price has almost doubled. I always do an over build with every starter. Still cheaper than dry lager yeast by far. I do 5 - 6 over builds and buy another pack of yeast. I paid $12 for WLP830 last month and it is now $16. Not sure when these price increases will end. I just checked More Beer and their same yeast is $16 also, Well, with our dollar being lower than the US dollar, our yeast is 30% cheaper.

yeah, it just seemed like they were phasing those packs out over time. im thinking ill switch to the escarpment and give them a try., but i have enough yeast until the fall, maybe longer if i dont like the prices.

dry lager yeast was ridiculous. also torontobrewing's prices in general are insane, who buys from them? torontoites? lmao

re: Morebeer, you cant use them up here can you?

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 03:27:22 am »
If you're willing to step up a starter a couple of times, then you can even take a bottle or a half pour off of a keg and grow up yeast off of that. I often do this if I have a batch of beer from a liquid strain that I really like and didn't have the forethought to save some slurry from my initial pitch. Yeast is far more resiliant than we give it credit for, and if your process is clean you can grow a healthy pitch from old beer or slurry without too much issue.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 05:54:16 am »
Can I pitch fresh wort onto the trub of a lager in my fermenter? I kind of quit that many years ago, just wondering if brewers still do that.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 07:24:48 am »
Can I pitch fresh wort onto the trub of a lager in my fermenter? I kind of quit that many years ago, just wondering if brewers still do that.
I do that frequently.  Most of my best lagers have been done that way (granted, I have made fewer than 2 dozen lagers).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 08:46:07 am »

Yes you can. I have found that I get better results by only using about half the slurry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell