Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Goodbye Mecca Grade  (Read 1093 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Goodbye Mecca Grade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 03:08:15 pm »
so apparently a group boycotted them? wow.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 04:02:18 pm »
The covid part of the story is racy but not really anything to do with their business woes. Plenty of businesses took the same position and didn't collapse.

It's clear from the rest of the story that this is another business that didn't plan well, stumbled into success and made no real effort to try to professionalize the business to make it functional and sustainable.

I would be surprised if they can't find a buyer for the business unless the financials are completely toxic.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 04:11:31 pm »
so apparently a group boycotted them? wow.

No not really.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 04:47:36 pm »
Running a successful business is very hard work.  It's not for everyone.  Perhaps others can pick up the pieces.  Not I, said the walrus.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 05:45:31 pm »
Hopefully he can locate a buyer for the land and business.  I have heard only good things about his malts.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 06:17:16 pm »
I would be surprised if they can't find a buyer for the business unless the financials are completely toxic.

I feel the same; they're only asking $5.5 million (of course I haven't seen the financials).

It's odd to me that it's listed on Zillow, as if it's just a sale of property and fixtures.  I would have expected it to be with a business broker and priced as a function of cap rate on some pro forma NOI.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9619-NW-Columbia-Dr-Madras-OR-97741/2058728405_zpid/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:10:26 am by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 01:03:33 pm »

I feel the same; they're only asking $5.5 million (of course I haven't seen the financials).
I'd definitely grab it if I was one of the bigger players out there like Deschutes. If this was 5 years ago AB inbev would be all over it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »
Oh man, I love so many of their malts.  I'll be so bummed if they don't continue in some form. 

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 05:47:06 pm »
Oh man, I love so many of their malts.  I'll be so bummed if they don't continue in some form.
Me too, but I wonder if they would be the same if someone else is running the show.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 10:58:43 am »

It's odd to me that it's listed on Zillow, as if it's just a sale of property and fixtures.  I would have expected it to be with a business broker and priced as a function of cap rate on some pro forma NOI.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9619-NW-Columbia-Dr-Madras-OR-97741/2058728405_zpid/

I was thinking the same thing about it being on Zillow, but I read the article posted and the sale is for the house and part of the land the malt is on.  They have a ton more land that I guess the family runs that their dad doesn't want to give up.  So, I guess that makes a bit more sense as to why it's on Zillow.  I wish I knew more and had an extra 5 mil hanging around.  LOL. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 11:18:13 am »

I was thinking the same thing about it being on Zillow, but I read the article posted and the sale is for the house and part of the land the malt is on.  They have a ton more land that I guess the family runs that their dad doesn't want to give up.  So, I guess that makes a bit more sense as to why it's on Zillow.  I wish I knew more and had an extra 5 mil hanging around.  LOL.

Minor nit....the barley is on the land, not the malt. I've done the same thing more times than I can count. The sale also includes the malt house.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 10:36:11 am »
Sorry to see them go. The craft maltster movement has been one of the best things to happen to this hobby in recent years, and I've heard nothing but great things about their malt. Hopefully we see other maltsters emerge/expand to fill the gap that this will leave in the market.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 11:57:53 am »

It doesn't really make sense. The property isn't just real estate or even just a farm. It's property with commercial operations and potentially an ongoing business interest. It would make way more sense to have a business broker obtaining a proper appraisal and shop it to potential buyers who understand the value of the entirety. This is the same thing as running the malting business without a salesforce. Some rando realtor in the area is not the right agent to sell that kind of asset.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 12:30:44 pm »

It doesn't really make sense. The property isn't just real estate or even just a farm. It's property with commercial operations and potentially an ongoing business interest. It would make way more sense to have a business broker obtaining a proper appraisal and shop it to potential buyers who understand the value of the entirety. This is the same thing as running the malting business without a salesforce. Some rando realtor in the area is not the right agent to sell that kind of asset.

It was a conscious decision to list on Zillow.  The building may be used for a warehouse or dog food manufacturing.

www.dennybrew.com