Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Root Shoot Malting's wheat malt?  (Read 508 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Root Shoot Malting's wheat malt?
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:18:55 pm »
With the [apparent] demise of Mecca Grade, I thought I'd explore a few more domestic craft maltsters.  (I've also used Gold Rush and Skagit Valley, and some other maltsters whose names slip me at the moment.)

I've heard a lot of great reviews for Root Shoot, and their Malt Guild awards certainly speak for themselves, but their malts I hear talked about are always the various barley-based ones.  Has anyone tried their Olandsvete [sp?] wheat malt? 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Root Shoot Malting's wheat malt?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 04:33:21 pm »
I've only used their barley products. I buy their pale and pilsner by the sack. I also have their vienna on hand which is really good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their wheat malt but it's not as easy to find even here in Denver, a stone's throw away from them. Curious to see if anybody else has experience as well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:44:23 pm »
I've only used their barley products. I buy their pale and pilsner by the sack. I also have their vienna on hand which is really good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their wheat malt but it's not as easy to find even here in Denver, a stone's throw away from them. Curious to see if anybody else has experience as well.
Tom’s brewshop in Lakewood should carry it. That’s the malt they use for their brewery; 6&40…

I bought a sack of the Pilsner once and wasn’t a big fan though I realize that’s not the topic…
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 07:45:54 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 03:50:56 am »
Not to steer anyone away from Root Shoot (and I'm very interested in hearing anyone's experiences with their malts), but if you're looking to try a craft wheat malt then I highly recommend Riverbend's Appalachian Wheat. They kiln it a little higher than a typical wheat malt, and it really brings out a nice bready/light toast character (think of the crust on a crusty french loaf). I never appreciated the American Wheat style until I tried out this malt, but it makes a killer lawnmower beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 07:15:27 am »
Not to steer anyone away from Root Shoot (and I'm very interested in hearing anyone's experiences with their malts), but if you're looking to try a craft wheat malt then I highly recommend Riverbend's Appalachian Wheat. They kiln it a little higher than a typical wheat malt, and it really brings out a nice bready/light toast character (think of the crust on a crusty french loaf). I never appreciated the American Wheat style until I tried out this malt, but it makes a killer lawnmower beer.

Hey, thanks Eric!!  I have used a Riverbend malt before, but never tried that one.  A lot of the craft breweries in my region use their malts, but I had kind of forgotten about them.  Better yet, they're sort of local to me, and I find myself near Asheville fairly often (a lot of my backpacking and kayaking is relatively near them).  Nice to support 'local' biz too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:17:46 am by ScallyWag »