Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Non food grade bucket  (Read 472 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Non food grade bucket
« on: March 28, 2023, 02:34:52 pm »
After seeing how expensive the dog food storage containers are I was wondering if using non food grade buckets would work for storing grains. The grains would remain in the original bags inside of the buckets.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Non food grade bucket
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 02:46:18 pm »
I am someone who doesn't like storing food in plastic the more we learn. That being said I mainly worry about acidic food and hot food in certain kinds of plastic. A solid and stable product like grain seems fine. Plus it's in it's original bag so if you are ok with the bag I wouldn't worry about the bucket.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Non food grade bucket
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 02:47:17 pm »
I picked up food grade buckets from Lowe’s. I use them to weight and mill grain into (2 w/o lids) and store grain (2 w/lids). The 5 gal bucket is ~$8.50 and the 2 gal bucket is ~$5. All four of mine are 5 gal. The gamma lids are ~$9.

The non food grade bucket is ~$5. So, for a difference of ~$3.50 I opted for food grade.

Vittles vaults are ~$45 on Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:15:52 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Non food grade bucket
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:21:22 pm »
I picked up food grade buckets from Lowe’s. I use them to weight and mill grain into (2 w/o lids) and store grain (2 w/lids). The 5 gal bucket is ~$8.50 and the 2 gal bucket is ~$5. All four of mine are 5 gal. The gamma lids are ~$9.

The non food grade bucket is ~$5. So, for a difference of ~$3.50 I opted for food grade.

Vittles vaults are ~$45 on Amazon.

+1. These buckets work great. You don’t need the fancy VV if you’re on a budget.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa