Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cask Condition?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Cask Condition?
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
I have a little 5 liter cask that I just emptied and I also have an English IPA ready to package. Will it work to simply make enough priming solution pour it in and fill with the beer and put in the cellar then simply serve via the spigot, or there more to it than that?
Pete
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cask Condition?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:26 pm »
It'll work that way.  I'm sure you're aware that the carbonation will go down over time once you tap it unless you have a special tap.  I could sell you the special tap; haven't used it in years; it runs on CO2 cartridges.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:12 am »
That should work but be sure you don't over prime it because it will just blow that spigot out. I would go below 2 vol.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:07 am »
Fortunately its a style I am happy to drink at a low carbonation level which is why I'm thinking of doing this.
Kramerog: as of now I'm not interested in a special spigot but I'm having a ball with this little cask and will probably someday get bigger ones I'll keep it in mind. As to the carbonation going away over time its a little 5 liter cask so I'll probably have people over when its ready and drink at least most of it in one day.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 04:35:57 pm »

Well this is pretty tasty. Very little carbonation but the oak and fairly subtle whiskey flavor play nice with the black tea flavor and aroma from the EKG . The carbonation seemed to peak two days ago when I took a tiny taste. It then pushed some whiskey oak syrup through  one joint between staves but not much.
Great beer to drink after an epic outdoor work day of winter trash removal and getting hives ready for the arrival of new bees.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 07:30:57 pm »
Those both look dangerously drinkable...

The only "issue" I have with cask ale is that it just seems to be so much easier to drink (too) quickly.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:05:47 am »
Those both look dangerously drinkable...

The only "issue" I have with cask ale is that it just seems to be so much easier to drink (too) quickly.
Yep, those beers were not nursed, nor were the next ones...

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 05:34:03 pm »
The whole cask conditioned beer thing has grabbed my interest.  I've been looking for a toasted or raw barrel for a while now and can't seem to find them. I see this looks to be a standard medium to level three charred barrel that I see everywhere on line. I'm also looking for a 5 liter which seems to make it impossible to find. My question is. How much different would a charred barrel affect the flavor and aging of a beer verses a toasted or raw barrel?
1 gallon experimenter