Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who's a fan of Crystal Hops?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Who's a fan of Crystal Hops?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 07:52:46 am »
My nose must suck as much as my palette. When I smell a bag of hops they all smell the same to me. They smell like hops. I get different results in the beer once brewed but the smell in the packaging is usually ’hops’.
If you compare two different varieties, I bet you might detect a difference. I find that something like Citra compared to something like Magnum are quite different, especially for good quality & properly stored hops.
I am kind of like BB on this. I don't notice many differences. I would say I notice "very strong Citrus" and "not citrusy". I definitly noticed that when I switched to the smaller hops dealers away from the big home brew suppliers or LHBS that I noticed way stronger aroma.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 07:54:10 am »
My nose must suck as much as my palette. When I smell a bag of hops they all smell the same to me. They smell like hops. I get different results in the beer once brewed but the smell in the packaging is usually ’hops’.
If you compare two different varieties, I bet you might detect a difference. I find that something like Citra compared to something like Magnum are quite different, especially for good quality & properly stored hops.

Agree with Eric on a side by side comparison...though I do wonder if I'd pass a triangle test!
I'd also add that picking out freshness is another benefit to giving hops a whiff first.  I've tossed a few bags of hops because they didn't pop like they should...and one bag that smelled like onions.   :(

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 08:13:44 am »
I don't know if my sense of smell is great but when I open Liberty or Sterling the character is fresh, herbal and "smooth" if that makes sense.  Cascade is the original citrusy hop, right?  I typically don't get citrus from the neutral hops I use like Mt. Hood, Sterling, Liberty, Northern Brewer, any German noble hop, Ultra, Santiam, Vanguard, etc.  The Crystal I huffed last night had some slight Cascade action going.  I also agree with Megary on checking the hops both visually and aroma-wise prior to use.  What you smell from the bag *COULD* be what you smell in your glass of beer.  I remember someone saying that bags of hops can be purged with a gas that might have that onion/garlic smell.  I think I have experienced that smell too.  I have had hops seem completely dead (no aroma) and dry, some that were no longer dark green, some with stinky gym-sock aroma and other unsavory things.  I have gotten much more snobby about my hops.  Hop Snob.  Maybe I'll put that on a T-shirt.  :D  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 01:21:34 pm »
Crystal has that American hop expression on top of its noble hop lineage. I've used them in the past and liked the beers made with them

A couple of weeks back we stopped at Dodge City KS to break up the drive. Went to the brewery in town not expecting much. They hap a Pre Prohibition Pilsner so I had to try that. It was wonderful, almost drank like a German beer. We talked to one of the owners about the beer, and he enjoyed the compliments. I said I didn't pick up Cluster Hops in it. He smiled and said he had been making it for years all Cluster. This time he said he used 5% (IIRC) Crystal with the Cluster and it changed it to the better. I was very surprised. Now I want to try that in a CAP.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 04:40:24 pm »
Crystal has that American hop expression on top of its noble hop lineage. I've used them in the past and liked the beers made with them

A couple of weeks back we stopped at Dodge City KS to break up the drive. Went to the brewery in town not expecting much. They hap a Pre Prohibition Pilsner so I had to try that. It was wonderful, almost drank like a German beer. We talked to one of the owners about the beer, and he enjoyed the compliments. I said I didn't pick up Cluster Hops in it. He smiled and said he had been making it for years all Cluster. This time he said he used 5% (IIRC) Crystal with the Cluster and it changed it to the better. I was very surprised. Now I want to try that in a CAP.
I love hearing stories like that.  I could see some Crystal pushing that beer in a better direction.  Also, it's a pretty damn good brewer who can make a beer made with Cluster hops drink like a German beer.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 09:17:41 am »

this describes crystal hops perfectly. Its such a lovely hop that is quite complex.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2023, 05:42:43 am »
Crystal has that American hop expression on top of its noble hop lineage

+2 - this sums it up precisely.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2023, 08:21:02 am »
How about some Crystal hop recipes? I am interested to learn when and how much to use and also what to pair Crystal with.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2023, 08:34:59 am »
How about some Crystal hop recipes? I am interested to learn when and how much to use and also what to pair Crystal with.

Make an IPA recipe you know. Replace the usual hops with Crystal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2023, 10:12:50 am »

Or brew a Pale Ale recipe you know. I've done Pilsners with them, it works in a German-American way.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2023, 11:05:49 am »
I've mostly used them in "noble-ish" beers, pilsners, kolsch, Tripel --- when I want a Continental beer with an light-American accent.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 08:16:28 am »
I've mostly used them in "noble-ish" beers, pilsners, kolsch, Tripel --- when I want a Continental beer with an light-American accent.
To the same idea, they work great in beers that are American takes of continental styles - Cream Ale, Pre-pro lager, Vienna, etc. If you want to get more of the "American" flavor out of them, toss in an extra ounce or so at flameout.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2023, 09:51:19 am »

iirc Sierra Nevada has made an all crystal IPA in the past.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2023, 10:24:07 am »
I’m late to the party again. I always use Crystal in my Kolsch. I’ve brewed it many times and thought years ago that Crystal was my best batch. I haven’t used anything else in it. I do 20ibu at 60 and 5ibu at 10min. Has that light lemony finish. Making it again this Sunday for the 4th of July.
Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 09:33:47 pm »

iirc Sierra Nevada has made an all crystal IPA in the past.
I remember Rogue doing that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild