Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who's a fan of Crystal Hops?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Who's a fan of Crystal Hops?
« on: April 18, 2023, 10:28:31 am »
I placed an order at YVH over the weekend and I ordered Sterling, Liberty and Crystal.  I had Crystal in the brewery years ago but it's been awhile.  It's related to Hallertau Mittelfruh, Brewer's Gold and half-sister to Liberty and Mt. Hood... all of which sounds lovely to me.  It occurs to me that I used to order hops from just about any outlet including homebrew supply places that may or may not handle the hops well.  I feel like I got some questionable Crystal hops from someplace and it turned me off of them.  Who here uses them on a regular basis and what is your take on them?  I'm becoming a big fan of "US Nobles" (if you accept that description) and it would be nice to bring Crystal back into the mix.  I think they're arriving today and I plan to create a recipe that puts the Crystal on display.  For the past two years or so I only buy hops from YCH por YVH or Hop Heaven and it's made a nice difference here. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:30:27 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Who's a fan of Crystal Hops?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 10:51:28 am »
I've used them quite a bit to make beers like Rogue's Brutal Bitter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 10:59:30 am »
Nice hops I recently used Crystal hops at flameout for a Cream Ale. It's in the keg and has a nice citrus flavor very happy with this beer. Crystal hops goes well with Citra in a IPA at flameout and dry hopped.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 11:09:19 am »
I have used Crystal a few times and never could taste much. I am not sure if I was doing something wrong or what happened.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 11:20:32 am »
I love them, and I've often wondered why they get overlooked. 

I have never [yet] used them alone, but every time I pair them with something else citrusy, or with another 'noblesque' (like Saphir or Adeena) they've really magnified the result as a great complement.   I get the nicest subtle lemony tones from them.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 11:59:14 am »
Thanks guys.  I forgot to mention that somewhere in their lineage is some Cascade too which I thought was unusual but that could explain the lemony/citrus thing.  These hops just arrived and the Crystal hops are 3%.  Sheesh.  I might make some kind of an amber lager and bitter with something like Horizon or Northern Brewer and then add some Crystal with 15 mins left and then again with 1-2 minutes left.  They should have a good opportunity to shine this way.  If I get some citrus, it would not be out of place, IMO. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 01:04:06 pm »
I know I used them once - I think in a lager as finishing hops.  Nothing remarkable sticks in my memory, but nothing bad, either.  It might go well with 34/70 in terms of a light lemony character, or with one of the even more clean lager yeasts, like Diamond, S-189, or Novalager or clean ale yeasts like BRY-97 or US-05 - where it might stand out enough to be noticed...just thinking out loud at this point.  Cheers and let us know how it goes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 01:26:01 pm »
I just drew this up.  I have 2124 Bohemian working for me at the moment and I might make this for my next batch...

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 03:33:36 pm »
Interesting with the 1% Special B - I wonder if it will lend a discernible note.  But, hey, why not give it a go?  Brew On!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 04:17:21 pm »
Interesting with the 1% Special B - I wonder if it will lend a discernible note.  But, hey, why not give it a go?  Brew On!
I like to use it in small percentages to get come color... mostly red.  The beer itself won't be RED because it's only 2 ounces of Special B but I do like it and here it will just push the color and depth of the beer a little bit. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 06:21:20 pm »
I like ScallyWag’s suggestion to combine Crystal with other hops to accentuate the good qualities of the partner hops.

I have never tried that. Maybe using solo Crystal is why I found them boring.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 08:33:14 pm »
I opened the bag tonight to get a good whiff of these hops.  They seem very fresh (2022 harvest) and aromatic and I get a good amount of fresh, sharp & herbal character along with a very slight dank and resinous citrus character.  It's like the hops are 1/8th Cascade or something (and maybe they are).  They smell very good and using them here in an amber lager seems good because I find it to be a wide-open style where a lot of different things could be included without it being out of place.  Afterwards I got them into a vac-sealed bag to protect them.  Looking forward to using them and seeing how the beer comes out. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 10:07:03 pm »
I have a pound I was given but haven't broken into yet. I'm also a big fan of the domestic noble/noble-ish hops. I'm using mount hood and sterling a lot these days--partially because I grow both--but I like their character. They aren't as delicate as noble hops but that isn't a problem for the beers I brew. I often blend them with more aggressive hops like cascade or chinook. I enjoy those blends even if all those hops have a slightly dated feel to them. What's old can be new again.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 06:36:29 am »
My nose must suck as much as my palette. When I smell a bag of hops they all smell the same to me. They smell like hops. I get different results in the beer once brewed but the smell in the packaging is usually ’hops’.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 07:23:25 am »
My nose must suck as much as my palette. When I smell a bag of hops they all smell the same to me. They smell like hops. I get different results in the beer once brewed but the smell in the packaging is usually ’hops’.
If you compare two different varieties, I bet you might detect a difference. I find that something like Citra compared to something like Magnum are quite different, especially for good quality & properly stored hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer