Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager  (Read 671 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager
« on: April 24, 2023, 12:53:51 pm »
There aren't a lot of commercial Vienna Lagers that are widely available, so when I saw DB's Vienna on tap when I visited DC a couple of weeks ago I was eager to try it. I know it's listed as a reference example for the style, but I was kinda unimpressed.

I know I haven't had too many commercial examples of the style, but I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be a bit maltier and hoppier than a helles, but not as malty-rich as something like a Marzen or a Dunkel. What I tasted was specialty-grain overload. I get that there can be a touch of Caramel malt character. If you're calling Sam Adams Boston Lager a Vienna, then that works because there is enough hop character to balance, and there's not a rich base malt character in addition. To me, this tasted like a lot of Dark Munich base malt character, with Cara-malt piled on top. It was just really rich and not refreshing at all. I could barely finish one, but this style should be an easy drinker.

Anyone else have any thoughts/experience with this beer?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 03:05:26 pm »
There aren't a lot of commercial Vienna Lagers that are widely available, so when I saw DB's Vienna on tap when I visited DC a couple of weeks ago I was eager to try it. I know it's listed as a reference example for the style, but I was kinda unimpressed.

I know I haven't had too many commercial examples of the style, but I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be a bit maltier and hoppier than a helles, but not as malty-rich as something like a Marzen or a Dunkel. What I tasted was specialty-grain overload. I get that there can be a touch of Caramel malt character. If you're calling Sam Adams Boston Lager a Vienna, then that works because there is enough hop character to balance, and there's not a rich base malt character in addition. To me, this tasted like a lot of Dark Munich base malt character, with Cara-malt piled on top. It was just really rich and not refreshing at all. I could barely finish one, but this style should be an easy drinker.

I agree with your assessment. It has too much malt sweetness and more body than one should expect.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 05:58:11 pm »

never had that, but i recall the first "vienna lager" branded beer i remember having was great lakes eliot ness. it was something like 6.2% and i recall it being a big beer with lots of caramel. that was a long time ago, and since then tbh its easier for me to brew a vienna than to find one.

most americans (sorry to generalize, but its what i hear) think vienna lager = negra modelo - a dark, syrupy industrial beer from what i remember or think of first wave of craft beer style vienna lagers ie. random mix of 2row, pils, munich and maybe vienna malt along with at least 10% dark crystal.

a special mention is molson's "old vienna" from up here, lol. its just industrial lager with a slightly different odd cardboardy dusty taste.

all i can say beyond that is more people need to try making vienna lagers that are 99-100% vienna malt with that 1% perhaps being black malt. (dont be afraid to get well under 10srm, the darkness thing is overstated and simply not necessary really) i dont think it is my absolute favourite malt but it is characterful and unique (it is NOT just light munich, its an entirely different process) and should attenuate just as well as pilsner malt.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 07:01:49 pm »
…more people need to try making vienna lagers …

My take:

49% Vienna
30% Pils
20% Munich

Adjust color with ~1% debittered Choc (i.e Carafa Special, BlackPrinz, etc).

Some say the use of Munich malt is essential if the brewer is to achieve the required malt character and mouthfeel.  I’ve been adding it as a portion of my base for my low ABV beers to keep them from feeling thin.

YMMV
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 07:04:02 pm by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 06:20:33 am »

never had that, but i recall the first "vienna lager" branded beer i remember having was great lakes eliot ness. it was something like 6.2% and i recall it being a big beer with lots of caramel. that was a long time ago, and since then tbh its easier for me to brew a vienna than to find one.

most americans (sorry to generalize, but its what i hear) think vienna lager = negra modelo - a dark, syrupy industrial beer from what i remember or think of first wave of craft beer style vienna lagers ie. random mix of 2row, pils, munich and maybe vienna malt along with at least 10% dark crystal.

a special mention is molson's "old vienna" from up here, lol. its just industrial lager with a slightly different odd cardboardy dusty taste.

all i can say beyond that is more people need to try making vienna lagers that are 99-100% vienna malt with that 1% perhaps being black malt. (dont be afraid to get well under 10srm, the darkness thing is overstated and simply not necessary really) i dont think it is my absolute favourite malt but it is characterful and unique (it is NOT just light munich, its an entirely different process) and should attenuate just as well as pilsner malt.
Honestly, I fond Negra Modelo to be refreshing and clean, although I think the recipe changed a while back and it's probably more like a colored American or Mexican lager than anything else.

I brew a 100% Vienna lager most summers, and it's closer to a Helles or Pils than to anything else. I don't usually bother with a dark malt for color. It's generally in the straw to light gold color range and drinks like it. I could see some Cara malt in the style, but only if the beer stays crisp/balanced and not cloying or malty-rich.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 08:49:25 am »
My Vienna lagers have 80% Vienna malt, 10% Munich malt and 10% Caraamber malt. I used some Caramunich 3 to darken it up a couple of times but decided it wasn't necessary.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's