Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ask the Experts  (Read 6936 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Ask the Experts
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:36:07 am »
In the next week or so, we'll be launching "Ask the Experts" as a special AHA members only feature on the main website.  We'll have various brewing experts available to answer questions you submit.  There will be an email address for people to submit questions on a topic the expert has decided on, and a couple weeks later the questions and answers will be posted on the main AHA website.  You'll have to be an AHA member to access them.  John Palmer will be the first expert, and we've got a couple more lined up after that.  We'll have one per month.  But I'd like to hear from all of you with suggestions about who you'd like to have and what topics you'd like them to cover.  Please post your suggestions here and I'll do my best to  contact the people you mention and ask them to participate.  Keep in mind that the experts will be volunteers who aren't reimbursed for their time. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

beveragebob

Re: Ask the Experts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:54:51 pm »
OK, I guess it's time to join again.....It's been a crazy ride the past few years but, I'm getting back on track with the hobby. If you want, you can use me as a reference to starting a brew biz. You know my background. I think it would be a good fit.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:35:23 pm »
Sounds like fun.

Stupid question but I am a relatively new card holding AHA member; is there other members only sections of this website?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »
I think it's great idea! Now I just have to join. :-\ The fee's aren't too bad tho!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »
I'd like to see that expert dude "Conn" discuss the technical side of converting a VW bus into a fermentation/lagering room!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 06:50:09 pm »
Great effort Denny!

I'd like to see Jamil Z...can we talk about recipe development?

He's a popular guy in our wide world of brewing and I think he will generate alot of interest.
Ron Price

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:34:26 am »
So, kinda almost like the Evil and Now Banned Tech Talk, except we get answers to our questions from a single expert rather than the group. Huh, might just work.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:25 am »
I think this is a great idea!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:10:02 am »
Denny, great idea for exclusive AHA member content.

I am personally very interested and want to learn more about Top Cropping Yeast.  The knowledge in publications (mags, books, etc.) is usually just very general and not the main topic.  I love to hear an expert that top crops regularly on techniques, when and how, what the yeast looks like, viability, and effects or drift of yeast from batch to batch.  Either homebrewers or pro brewers that top crop would be great.  I think the D.L. Geary Brewing Co. in Maine top crops, but I don't know of many other pro brewers that do.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming!  This whole thing will be driven by who the members want to hear!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:33:49 pm »
  I think Denny should save a slot for himself.
  I know it helped me to learn about batch sparging from Denny when I was moving from extract/specialty grains to partial mash. Things like making the mash tun, working the water volumes and recipe conversion are all things I learned from Denny and his resources.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:45:26 am »
I think it's great idea! Now I just have to join. :-\ The fee's aren't too bad tho!
+1 Been coat tailing long enuff. What a nice perk Denny...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:44 am »
Ray Daniels and any/all brewers who currently own their own brewery/brewpub. Would love to gather more info/experience from those who have been through it to help more folks get there.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »
Excellent idea.  I'll be thinking of ideas to discuss.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

jaybeerman

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:38:35 pm »
Possible Topics

1. Bugs and critters (serious brett, batch blending and long term aging discussion)
2. Open Fermentation for homebrewers
3. High End Techniques for improvement (everyone can learn)
4. Wood (how, when, why, what)
5. Braggot (more misinformation can be found on this topic than any other)
6. Non standard mash techniques (for example "Brewing a Wheat Beer with Intensive Banana Aroma")

Possible People

1.  Get one of the Italian Pro Brewers on here; there are brewers over there brewing heavily spiced beers on wine yeast and having good results. (I could possibly help on this one if no one else had better contacts)
2. Brewer or non-brewer scientific types
3. Hop groups who will take suggestions from homebrewers
4. People like Michael Eder

Cheers, j