Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitch rate for T-58/Verdant co-pitch?  (Read 598 times)

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
Pitch rate for T-58/Verdant co-pitch?
« on: April 27, 2023, 08:32:33 pm »
I'd like to try co-pitching T-58 and Verdant in a 1.052, 14 IBU wheat beer and see how it turns out. I'm planning on a pitch rate of .5g/liter for my first attempt (12L). For now, I'm planning to pitch equal amounts at the same time. I figure the T-58 will take off first, but I think that'd be fine. If I like the result, I can fine-tune the next batch.

How does that sound?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pitch rate for T-58/Verdant co-pitch?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 08:39:32 am »
Sounds like a crap shoot. Good luck.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 05:32:29 pm »

Do you mean the pitch rate or the beer itself?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 05:36:24 pm »

I love to copitch! A co pitch if WY2565 and Nottingham made one of the best beers!

I say go for it!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 05:38:05 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 05:58:17 am »
I have co-pitched Verdant with another yeast many times, almost always with excellent results.  It can be very fast to take off too.  Maybe not so much out of the packet, but the 2nd gen slurry (or 3rd gen, etc) takes off SUPER fast.

I've never tried T-58 at all (neither by itself nor as a copitch) so I have no idea if they'd work well together.  I hope you let us know if you do this.

Verdant is probably my "if you had to use only one yeast the rest of your life" answer, given the types of beers I like to make.  I would think that if the blend doesn't give you what you're looking for, it would likely be an enjoyable xxxxxx-beer anyway.

PS - I love the subcaption on your profile.  Now I have that song stuck in my head.   ;D

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 07:56:52 am »
I just co-pitched Verdant with S-04 in a NEIPA a couple of days ago. Saw action within 5 hours. I’ve used each independently many times so I’m looking forward to the results.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 08:54:26 am »

I mean the outcome.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 10:18:51 pm »
Verdant is probably my "if you had to use only one yeast the rest of your life" answer, given the types of beers I like to make.

I'm about in the same place with Verdant. Every beer I've ever made with it has turned out well.

For this brew (just finished today's brewday), I decided to go with just the Verdant. I had some fresh slurry from kegging a noble blonde yesterday, so I just went with that. I'll try the T-58 on its own for my next wheat.

PS - I love the subcaption on your profile.  Now I have that song stuck in my head.   ;D

Sorry about that!

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!