Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite German Pilsner Malt  (Read 1655 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Favorite German Pilsner Malt
« on: May 02, 2023, 03:42:31 pm »
Which German Pilsner malts are your go to favorites for a German style pilsner?

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Favorite German Pilsner Malt
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:26 pm »
I really like a 50/50 of Best Pils and Best Heidelberg

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 06:14:51 am »
I am going through a bag of Canada Malting Company Superior Pils right now and really like it. It is very mild. It really lets the other malts and hops come through. It makes a nice crisp beer too. My only half complaint, is that it is very light colored. The beers have all been very pale, to the point a non-brewer friend told me the Czech Pils he had in Czech were darker.  But, light color is not really a problem.

PS. I think CMC Superior Pils may be the exact same malt as Great Western Superior Pils. The bags look nearly identical, both come from Canada from Country Malt, both use the same description in the ad text.

Offline BrewBama

Favorite German Pilsner Malt
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 06:46:35 am »
I believe barley variety plays a significant role in resulting malt flavors. I say this because I do not like the grassy, hay-like flavors I get from certain continental maltster’s Pils malt. It seems the domestic varieties produce the Pils malts I prefer.

I quit using Pils malt for a long time because of that flavor. I have eased back into certain maltster’s Pils malt on occasion.

I like Great Western Pils.  Tommy’s observation is interesting that Canada Malting could be the same. Because I’ve seem this production model used across numerous industries, I could easily believe one maltster could package for two or more customers.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 07:29:34 am »
I believe barley variety plays a significant role in resulting malt flavors. I say this because I do not like the grassy, hay-like flavors I get from certain continental maltster’s Pils malt. It seems the domestic varieties produce the Pils malts I prefer.

I quit using Pils malt for a long time because of that flavor. I have eased back into certain maltster’s Pils malt on occasion.

I like Great Western Pils.  Tommy’s observation is interesting that Canada Malting could be the same. Because I’ve seem this production model used across numerous industries, I could easily believe one maltster could package for two or more customers.
I've been working on a sack of Avangard Pilsen malt, and it has less of that grassiness than the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner that I was using prior. I usually blend in some Pale Ale malt to cut that grassiness with certain Pils malts, but I am finding that I don't need to with the Avangard.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 08:02:39 am »
Malts from Germany or malts to make German pils? They are not necessarily the same.

My favorite malts for German pils at the moment are Crisp Hana and Rahr North Star pils.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:24:13 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:19:51 am »
Barke Pilsner alllllll day.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 02:53:31 pm »
Best Pils, but I have nothing against mixing base malts, nor subbing in some Munich or Vienna for a bit of background notes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 05:38:41 am »
I use just Weyermann Pils malt because it is the only one I can get in 55 lb. sacks from where I live. Since the pandemic variety in malts has decreased dramatically around here. Still, it is a good malt and I have no complaints about it.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 07:20:28 am »
I’ve always had good luck with Avangard Pilsen.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 09:37:04 am »
I am going through a bag of Canada Malting Company Superior Pils right now and really like it. It is very mild. It really lets the other malts and hops come through. It makes a nice crisp beer too. My only half complaint, is that it is very light colored. The beers have all been very pale, to the point a non-brewer friend told me the Czech Pils he had in Czech were darker.  But, light color is not really a problem.

PS. I think CMC Superior Pils may be the exact same malt as Great Western Superior Pils. The bags look nearly identical, both come from Canada from Country Malt, both use the same description in the ad text.

Great Western and CMC have the same parent company, United Malt out of Australia.

https://www.greatwesternmalting.com/our-company/our-history/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 11:19:04 am »

Great Western and CMC have the same parent company, United Malt out of Australia.

https://www.greatwesternmalting.com/our-company/our-history/
Both GW and CMC call their basic Pils malt Superior Pilsen.

When I first bought this bag of CMC Superior Pilsen I noticed morebeer said both were Canadian-grown Copeland barley. But, that might have been a mistake because that description is gone.

The safety data sheets for each list different manufacturer locations.

Also, the GW says their target color is 1.5-1.9  and the CMC has a target color of 1.3–1.7.

So, they are almost definitely different.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 10:36:26 am »
Best Pils is my #1

I just started a sack of Montana High Plains Pils. I just checked FG on my Munich Helles last night. I thought it was very good for just finishing. We will see after cold conditioning for a month. The price was right, so hope it turns out great.
Jeff B

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 05:26:16 pm »
Rahr North Star and Best @ 50/50.  I really like Avangaard but have trouble finding it locally in bulk.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 09:32:00 pm »
My favorite German Pils malt? What am I brewing.
Helles will use Weyermann Barke Pils.
Bavarian style beers i might use a blend of Weyermann Pils  and Weyermann Floor Malted Pils.
For a dry Northern German Pils I will use Durst Pils if I can get it.
If I'm doing an IPA that I want to have a light and clean malt flavor I will use something like Rahr Pils as part of the grain bill.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!