Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Taste  (Read 1400 times)

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
Re: Plastic Taste
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2023, 09:25:45 am »
I would swap out that PVC tubing for proper beer line.

Definitely do that. 

This is the best beer line that I have tried: https://www.morebeer.com/products/eva-barrier-double-wall-tubing-1364-5-mm-id-516-8-od-placeholder.html

Do I need the duotight push-in fittings or can I slip this over the nip and use standard screw down clamps?
It depends on what ID you have and what barb you have. The tubing is not very flexible or stretchy the way vinyl and PVC are, so it won't go over a barb easily, and the hose clamp won't squish it as well. I would strongly recommend using the Duotight fittings. They are easy to use and I have never had a leak with one. You can even rotate the tubing in the fitting if you need to do that to orient a ball-lock fitting properly, and you can do it under pressure without making a leak. You can't that with a hose clamp.

ID?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 10:24:43 am »
I would swap out that PVC tubing for proper beer line.

Definitely do that. 

This is the best beer line that I have tried: https://www.morebeer.com/products/eva-barrier-double-wall-tubing-1364-5-mm-id-516-8-od-placeholder.html

Do I need the duotight push-in fittings or can I slip this over the nip and use standard screw down clamps?
It depends on what ID you have and what barb you have. The tubing is not very flexible or stretchy the way vinyl and PVC are, so it won't go over a barb easily, and the hose clamp won't squish it as well. I would strongly recommend using the Duotight fittings. They are easy to use and I have never had a leak with one. You can even rotate the tubing in the fitting if you need to do that to orient a ball-lock fitting properly, and you can do it under pressure without making a leak. You can't that with a hose clamp.

ID?
Inner Diameter
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 10:19:18 am »
For what it is worth, my kegerator uses red gas line from the tank to the in post on the keg.  Both have small hose clamps.  They came that way from the guy I bought it all from, so I left it.  My tap line is the same, the connection at the keg is a clear, food grade tubing and a small hose clamp.  Where it connects to the tap I think that also has a clamp.  Seeing how cheap the evabarrier is, I might buy 10 feet of it with my next grain order from Morebeer.  Either way, I would for sure lose the PVC.  Just seems like that is not the proper use for beer distribution, but I am just as much a novice as you are, so take it all for what it is worth.  RR

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 05:13:54 pm »
For what it is worth, my kegerator uses red gas line from the tank to the in post on the keg.  Both have small hose clamps.  They came that way from the guy I bought it all from, so I left it.  My tap line is the same, the connection at the keg is a clear, food grade tubing and a small hose clamp.  Where it connects to the tap I think that also has a clamp.  Seeing how cheap the evabarrier is, I might buy 10 feet of it with my next grain order from Morebeer.  Either way, I would for sure lose the PVC.  Just seems like that is not the proper use for beer distribution, but I am just as much a novice as you are, so take it all for what it is worth.  RR

My gas line is red as well, but it is PVC. I just ordered the beer line everyone suggested from MoreBeer and I will be replacing all of the lines this weekend. Thank you for the insight!