Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Taste  (Read 1401 times)

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
Plastic Taste
« on: May 05, 2023, 02:10:57 pm »
All -

I am new here, but I appreciate all the information and content so far. It has helped me a lot with my brewing. I built a keezer not long ago, but both of my home-brews have come out with a plastic taste when coming from the tap. Is this from the PVC lines I am using for gas and beer line? My last 2 brews are in 5 gal corny kegs that were cleaned with OXY and sanitized with Star-San. Both brews were fermented (primary/secondary) in 5 gal buckets. One was an Irish Red Ale and another was a West Coast IPA.

The same batch was bottled and tastes fine. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks y'all and I look forward to engaging with you in the future. Cheers!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Plastic Taste
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 06:48:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Your problem sounds just like chlorophenol, which is an off-flavor that comes from the chlorine in municipal tap water.  Are you using city water?  If this is the case, to prevent this in future, you need to add 1/2 Campden tablet (also known as "sulfite" or "metabisulfite"), crushed, for every 5 gallons of water, before the water touches any malt.  Chlorophenol is a common off-flavor in beers that used chlorinated water.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 06:50:42 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 06:54:25 pm »
I used bottled spring water for the Westie and distilled for the red ale. The only difference between these two batches and my first one was secondary fermentation. Maybe that is the issue that is leading to infection? I have cleaned and sanitized everything thoroughly before moving to fermentation and secondary.

(This should probably be in a different board at this point)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 09:23:59 am »
I used bottled spring water for the Westie and distilled for the red ale. The only difference between these two batches and my first one was secondary fermentation. Maybe that is the issue that is leading to infection? I have cleaned and sanitized everything thoroughly before moving to fermentation and secondary.

(This should probably be in a different board at this point)

I don't see a need  for secondary for any of those beers, FWIW
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 11:42:32 am »
Skip the secondary step. Transfer directly from fermenter to keg. I would swap out that PVC tubing for proper beer line.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 02:53:16 pm »
I would swap out that PVC tubing for proper beer line.

Definitely do that. 

This is the best beer line that I have tried: https://www.morebeer.com/products/eva-barrier-double-wall-tubing-1364-5-mm-id-516-8-od-placeholder.html
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 04:42:01 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as far as secondary is concerned. I am still new and I was following the directions, but with more research I am learning it isn't necessary for all beers.

I will change out the beer lines as well. Thank you for the info and recommendations. I look forward to learning from y'all on the boards!

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 04:44:47 pm »
Also, is the PVC line ok for the CO2 line?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 07:16:41 am »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 03:20:02 pm »

Is it rated for presssure?

I don't actually know whether off flavors can be imparted by CO2 line.  Personally, I'd replace it.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 04:49:12 am »
There are many different types of PVC so you’d have to research which is pressure rated, which is not and which is food safe. Other than C-PVC, you’re probably not going to find what you want in a big box store. Most likely you’d have to go to a plumbing supply store. But, like others have stated, you should switch out to beer line - use the right tools for the right job.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 03:20:05 pm »
Got it. Swap all PVC lines (including CO2) for beer line. Thanks everyone!

Offline FryGuy1424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 08:36:13 am »

Definitely do that. 

This is the best beer line that I have tried: https://www.morebeer.com/products/eva-barrier-double-wall-tubing-1364-5-mm-id-516-8-od-placeholder.html

Do I need the duotight push-in fittings or can I slip this over the nip and use standard screw down clamps?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 10:22:20 am »

Definitely do that. 

Do I need the duotight push-in fittings or can I slip this over the nip and use standard screw down clamps?
It depends on what ID you have and what barb you have. The tubing is not very flexible or stretchy the way vinyl and PVC are, so it won't go over a barb easily, and the hose clamp won't squish it as well. I would strongly recommend using the Duotight fittings. They are easy to use and I have never had a leak with one. You can even rotate the tubing in the fitting if you need to do that to orient a ball-lock fitting properly, and you can do it under pressure without making a leak. You can't that with a hose clamp.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 11:53:41 am »

The 5 mm ID tubing will work with 1/4 barbs.  I found it to be a tight enough fit that I didn't even bother with clamps.