Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast for American I.P.A.  (Read 1628 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Yeast for American I.P.A.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2023, 03:36:15 pm »
I’ve had it take 36 hrs but more routinely 16 +/- 2 which is slow for my liking. …but I just hold my nose and shut my eyes and still use it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2023, 03:52:11 pm »
I’ve had it take 36 hrs but more routinely 16 +/- 2 which is slow for my liking. …but I just hold my nose and shut my eyes and still use it.

We obviously have different interpretations of slow. Until I find it makes a problem with the beer, "slow" is not an issue for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2023, 04:58:29 pm »
just checked my last batch of BRY97 and i had written down i saw signs of fermentation at 6pm the next day, after pitching at 11pm. thats ~19 hours, which is fine for me.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 05:46:32 pm »
97 was slow for me the first time but never since. Luckily 05 and 97 perform exactly the same for me and I’m one of those fools who has no preference. I purchase based on price so they are completely interchangeable for me
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 10:34:40 pm »
I am not a pro, and those who have posted before me know way more than I do.  I would say that when I used 97 it seemed that activity in the airlock was about 12 to 16 hours after pitch.  I did not mind, because once it got going, man it was a very active fermentation.  It was cool to see that airlock working it.  LOL.  Other than that, I don't have the experience or knowledge to know what the differences would be in end product.  I have used both 97 and 05 and enjoyed beers with both of them. 

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2023, 07:49:32 am »
I like the yeast to kick off quickly so that it will out compete any bacteria. But, how fast is fast enough, and how slow is too slow? I think the answers vary in different breweries and different batches. Like anything related to sanitation, we just try to minimize the risk.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2023, 08:55:20 am »
I recently used Lalbrew New England dry yeast. It took 30 hours to show signs of life. The beer turned out fine except for my significant over use of Lupomax hops.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2023, 10:29:48 am »
I recently used Lalbrew New England dry yeast. It took 30 hours to show signs of life. The beer turned out fine except for my significant over use of Lupomax hops.
That yeast is a notoriously slow starter as noted in their own description.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2023, 11:41:51 am »
am tasting a US05 am. strong ale that has been bottled for about 2 weeks now. first time in maybe 8 years i used US05

i would have used BRY97 but they were temporarily out of it at the HBS.

its amazing how different a yeast they are. im starting to realize BRY97's brewing properties and pleasant taste are really amazing and its fully come into my mind nowadays as my default ale yeast.

so re: this thread - BRY97 p much no question