Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast for American I.P.A.  (Read 1629 times)

Offline jason.giannitsas

• 1st Kit
Dry Yeast for American I.P.A.
« on: May 06, 2023, 04:48:58 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am making an American I.P.A. and looking for a clean profile yeast. I am currently between Safale US-05 (which I have used before and was very happy with) and Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast. Do you have any experience with those strains to guide me and what are your preferences?

Also, if you have any other suggestions feel free to note them, but keep in mind I can't get my hands on a lot of yeast brands in my country.

Thanks in advance :D

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Dry Yeast for American I.P.A.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 04:53:35 pm »
I like Lallemand BRY-97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 05:36:01 pm »
I've used M44 for IPAs many times with great results. It attenuates a bit better than US-05 and is more flocculent. M42, New World Strong Ale, is very close to US-05 as far as attenuation goes, produces a clean beer and is also more flocculent.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 05:39:30 pm »
Any of the ones mentioned above will be great in a regular non-hazy American IPA.  Personally I might lean more towards the M44, I think it will attenuate slightly less than US-05, but the differences between all of these are pretty small.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 08:32:39 am »
BRY 97
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 11:05:44 am »
Any of those yeasts should work great
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 01:54:10 am »
I have been very happy with BRY97 myself, but S05 works too.  I want to say I used a Cellular Science Cali something or other as well.   But, my go to for the last few has been BRY97. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 04:14:54 am »
I have used both US05 and BRY97 and like them both. Currently using US05. This one is on generation 4 so I'll keep using for a while longer.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 07:39:53 am »
I am 100% certain that I couldn't tell the difference between IPA's properly fermented with:
BRY-97
US-05
WLP001
WY1056
M44

There are probably another 10 yeasts I could add to that list but I would have to reduce my certainty to 80%.   :D

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 08:20:05 am »
I am 100% certain that I couldn't tell the difference between IPA's properly fermented with:
BRY-97
US-05
WLP001
WY1056
M44

There are probably another 10 yeasts I could add to that list but I would have to reduce my certainty to 80%.   :D
Couldn't agree more.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 08:34:17 am »
BRY-97
US-05
WLP001
WY1056
M44

Sure you could if they were side  by side.  Maybe not which was which,  but you could tell the difference

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 10:57:20 am »
BRY-97
US-05
WLP001
WY1056
M44

Sure you could if they were side  by side.  Maybe not which was which,  but you could tell the difference

You think too highly of me.

Maybe if it was a Blonde Ale or a Cream Ale I could make a distinction, but in an IPA all I would taste is hops and bitterness.  I would probably have to ferment one with a German Wheat strain for me to make note of the differences.   :)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 08:19:26 pm »
i think more than just side by side comparison in tasting between cali yeasts, ive found bry97 so consistent and foolproof. i cant remember a yeast that had any major issues with it. just did US05 for the first time in MANY, many years since bry97 was temporarily soldout. wow it took about 3 weeks to flocculate out.

i keep an excel file of my perceptions of yeast's fermentation characteristics aside from sensory things so i can remember if some yeast is more of a PITA to deal with or was very easy.

bry97 has amazing brewing characteristics but it produces a gigantic krausen, absolutely gigantic.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 06:30:07 am »
My only gripe with Bry-97 is it can be slow to start. Other than that, it ferments aggressively, finishes fast (usually catches up and finishes just as fast as US-05 for me), and it flocculates quickly leaving a nice, clear beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2023, 08:25:46 am »
My only gripe with Bry-97 is it can be slow to start. Other than that, it ferments aggressively, finishes fast (usually catches up and finishes just as fast as US-05 for me), and it flocculates quickly leaving a nice, clear beer.

I hear you and others say that, but I consistently get 12-24 hour starts. Maybe we use different metrics,  but I don't consider that slow.

www.dennybrew.com