Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Table Salt to the Boil.  (Read 605 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Adding Table Salt to the Boil.
« on: May 13, 2023, 07:49:09 am »
Does anyone add table salt to the boil to enhance flavor? Thoughts? I use 4 gr. of sea salt in a 21.5 gallon boil.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Adding Table Salt to the Boil.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 08:16:01 am »
I use CaCl in the mash and everything else (gypsum, salt, Epsom salt,…) in the boil.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 08:40:10 am »
I use CaCl in the mash and everything else (gypsum, salt, Epsom salt,…) in the boil.

I have been adding MgSO4 to the boil also but not CaSO4.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 09:56:23 am »
I add it to my mash water. My standard salt additions are 1.5g of kosher salt and either 2g or 4g of Gypsum (depending on the style) added to my well water. This nets me about 40-50ppm of sodium in my brewing water. It's not enough to taste directly, and this could just be confirmation bias, but I do feel that it makes a difference (especially in malty styles). Taste receptors on the tongue are sodium-gated, and the presence of sodium in the right amounts helps amplify flavors without tasting salty. It's like forgetting the salt in a bread recipe - the end result just tastes a little flat or bland.

I've heard 50ppm is the taste threshold, which is why I use that as my target, but that may vary from person to person and I bet you can safely go a bit higher.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 04:51:51 pm »
Does anyone add table salt to the boil to enhance flavor? Thoughts? I use 4 gr. of sea salt in a 21.5 gallon boil.
Only when the water recipe needs it- I use B'run water with a lot of success.  Highly recommended it.