Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarity Ferm experience?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Clarity Ferm experience?
« on: May 18, 2023, 10:11:14 am »
Does anyone have firsthand experience using Clarity Ferm for the reduction of gluten? My wife was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity that affects her thyroid levels. So, good that it’s not celiac but still requires some lifestyle changes, which includes significantly reducing/eliminating gluten. We tried some gluten frees that were mediocre and I tried to make my own, which was bad. Then, I became aware of Clarity Ferm.

All the reviews make it sound like a magic elixir for people with a gluten sensitivity that significantly reduces gluten in beer below 20 ppm, which is the threshold for declaring something “gluten reduced” in the U.S. I currently have two, small test batches with CF fermenting. White Labs also offers a test that measures down to 10 ppm, which I intend on doing just for piece of mind. I was curious if anyone on the forum had experience with CF?
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Clarity Ferm experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 03:15:06 pm »
I have been using Clarity Ferm, or the Cellar Science Clearzyme (https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-clearzyme-placeholder.html) for years. My wife has celiac disease and suffered from anemia for years before it was diagnosed. I have not tested my beer for gluten, but use the enzyme according to the instructions, and she has no problem with it. I know that there are many different manifestations of gluten intolerance and what works for one person may not work for another, but Clarity Ferm (or Clearzyme) works for her. I can brew any recipe using standard ingredients like barley and wheat and add the enzyme along with the yeast. It does not seem to affect the flavor of the beer in any way.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 04:16:12 pm »
Thanks. That’s great info.

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 05:27:30 pm »
there was an interview i heard with someone authoritative on either MBAA podcast, brewsmith podcast or whitelabs and they said it works extremely well. maybe browse those 3 for the topic it might have been on clarity, haze, etc.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 05:49:00 am »
As a follow up, I did send in a sample to White Labs for testing and the results came back at <10 ppm. So, just confirms the anecdotal info I’ve read and gives my wife piece of mind.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 09:56:55 am »
As a follow up, I did send in a sample to White Labs for testing and the results came back at <10 ppm. So, just confirms the anecdotal info I’ve read and gives my wife piece of mind.
Thanks for sharing that. It's always great to see real-world numbers from fellow homebrewers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 01:25:31 pm »

excellent, yeah this stuff is apparently a game changer for beer drinkers with gluten allergies