Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long can wort last?  (Read 408 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
How long can wort last?
« on: May 26, 2023, 10:40:00 am »
 I have been thinking about this for a while. If I wanted to brew, say 10 gallons instead of 5, split the wort into two 5 gallon batches and use different hops and stuff, how long can wort be kept in like a 5 gallong carboy sealed and either at room temp or maybe somewhat colder in my kegerator? I am thinking maybe just a day or two as I only have one propane burner to use and one of my boil kettles is a cut down keg, so 5 gallons there would probably barely fill the bottom. LOL. Anyway, like I said, I was just thinking if I use the same grain bill I can make a 10 gallon batch and split it as long as the wort will be ok for a day or two in some sort of vessel of storage. Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How long can wort last?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 11:16:03 am »
My experience is a day or 2 at cold temps, sealed, is OK as long as you boil it after storage. But you're playing with possible botulism, so I won't recommend doing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 12:42:53 pm »
Got it.  Thank you for the info.  Don't want to get anybody or myself sick while drinking.  Hungover is another thing altogether.  LOL. 

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 10:33:54 pm »
I used to keep the brew overnight and pitch in the morning. I did this to use wort from the brewday to make a starter with and would pitch the following morning. It was 15 gallon batches and I was trying to save on yeast cost. I don’t do that anymore after discovering all the great dry yeast options but I don’t recall ever having a problem. I would seal the fermenter and pressurize with co2.