Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High FG Options  (Read 1243 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: High FG Options
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 04:40:46 pm »
You could always dump it and move on.

I favor the blending approach when I have had similar issues; brew the same recipe at a low low mash temp and perhaps substitute some sugar for some of the malt. 

This has worked well for me and hasn't ever felt like a too big of a compromise.  If it does for you, then just dump it.
Good luck!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 07:39:23 pm »
i think people said some options post-fact for reducing FG, but for me:

-unexpectedly high FG frustrates me because i just dont want to choke down a whole bunch of overly heavy, high sugar alcoholic beverages when I don't necessarily need to. I actually DO consider "drinkability" lol
-it may indicate a poor fermentation, and ive missed my intended numbers to balance ABV/IBU/flavours etc
-its extra calories i dont need

i was going to make some kind of thread for this to gauge peoples thoughts but im increasingly doing beers that have much lowered FGs than one would expect and im finding using a flavourful but highly fermentable malt easily makes up for it, imho my homebrewed beers generally having a more perceptible malt presence than any store bought beers.

had a lager i made this winter that had an FG of 1.006 unexpectedly, but it was excellent tasting and very malty. more beer for me and less residual sugar. im close to pulling out phrases like "same great taste but LESS FILLING!" but i mean it.

im definitely aiming to try a bunch of styles doing this come fall brewing.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 07:45:15 pm »
It is my understanding that the difference in calories between carbs and alcohol is small. That means that OG, not FG,  is what matters when it comes to calories - it really doesn't make much difference if you finish with high FG and low alcohol or low FG and high alcohol.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 07:49:37 pm »
It is my understanding that the difference in calories between carbs and alcohol is small. That means that OG, not FG,  is what matters when it comes to calories - it really doesn't make much difference if you finish with high FG and low alcohol or low FG and high alcohol.

maybe, but sipping on a 1.08 beer fermented with say windsor (as an extreme example) with a 1.03FG vs. 1.08 beer fermented with BE256 down to 1.010, you know which one you will be willing to drink another of. i do count beer as a means of consuming alcohol of course.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2023, 12:15:12 pm »
There you go- poor attenuation means you won't drink.  Problem solved?