Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High FG Options  (Read 1241 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
High FG Options
« on: May 31, 2023, 02:47:24 pm »
My recent batch of Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale finished at 1.019 specific gravity. I tasted a sample and it is slightly sweet. I am wonder what options I have.

I believe I let the mash get too warm. The target was 156F but I know it was at 159-160F. I thought it would be fine and let it ride.  I do BIAB and the temp drops a lot during the mash. But, I guess I denatured some of the enzymes.

I think my options are:

1. Krausen with a different yeast that might like long chain starches.
2. Drink it as is.
3. Dilute it and drink it.

I currently plan to skip #1 and try #2. If I can’t stand the sweetness I will then try diluting by 25% with deaerated water. That would drop the OG from 1060 to 1045, the FG to 1015, and the bitterness to 34 IBU. I am not sure if that will help.

Any other good options?

Offline BrewBama

Re: High FG Options
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 03:19:02 pm »
Is blending with a dry beer an option?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 04:08:06 pm »
Those few degrees wouldn't have made that much difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

High FG Options
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 05:35:13 pm »
Those few degrees wouldn't have made that much difference.
Then I don’t know what I did wrong. I have never had this happen before. I have measured with two hydrometers (Tilt and my finish hydrometer) and with a refractometer. Plus tasting a bit sweet makes me think I did something wrong.

The yeast took off in 12-15 hours after pitch. So that seems normal. The beer tastes pretty good. Just a tad sweet. Hopefully, it is in my head and the beer will taste fine after carbonation.

Regarding, blending. I don’t want to brew a special batch. Maybe I could blend by the glass with beers already in the beer fridge, but I don’t like to waste good beer blending it with bad beer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 05:52:00 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 05:47:49 pm »
Mine finished at 1.012 and is certainly malty... I'd probably call it borderline "sweet".  And I mashed at what should have been a consistent 157°F.

Not a suggestion for fixing yours, but I think it reinforces that this isn't a dry beer.   :)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 06:42:38 pm »
I currently plan to skip #1 and try #2. If I can’t stand the sweetness I will then try diluting by 25% with deaerated water. That would drop the OG from 1060 to 1045, the FG to 1015, and the bitterness to 34 IBU. I am not sure if that will help.

I think you are on the correct path right here.

If it isn't already packaged, you could attempt to add a more attenuative yeast.  I'm assuming you didn't use US-05 because that one in particular is the highest attenuating American ale yeast strain.  Otherwise you could try a Belgian.  Just ideas.  You might prefer to go with your other options, and there's never a guarantee that any additional yeast will take off again.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 01:14:01 am »
Dilute it in the glass with carbonated water. That way you can drink it as is till you’re tired of the sweetness for that day and then switch to diluted pints. Good news is the keg will last much longer!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 05:01:46 am »
Part of me thinks it will be ok once carbonated but two more options are available:
1. Make a hop tea to add for increased bitterness
2. Add an enzyme to make more fermentables available and rouse the existing yeast or add more.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 06:55:07 am »
Has anyone ever tried to add a bit of Gypsum to the glass to help "dry out" the beer?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:40 am »
Has anyone ever tried to add a bit of Gypsum to the glass to help "dry out" the beer?

Yep. CaCl2 also. Both very effective.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 08:45:34 am »
Part of me thinks it will be ok once carbonated but two more options are available:
2. Add an enzyme to make more fermentables available and rouse the existing yeast or add more.

Just curious if you've had experience with option 1

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 07:37:49 pm »
Does #2 work after fermentation? I thought that only works during the mash.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 05:16:23 am »
Good question. I know that the enzymes work best at mash temps but I don’t think that means they don’t work at all if added to fermentation. No clue if ph or alcohol hampers it too.
To answer Denny’s question I have never tried adding hop tea to fix a beer but have heard the advice before so thought I a would add that piece of spaghetti to what we were throwing against the wall.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 08:32:26 am »
Good question. I know that the enzymes work best at mash temps but I don’t think that means they don’t work at all if added to fermentation. No clue if ph or alcohol hampers it too.
To answer Denny’s question I have never tried adding hop tea to fix a beer but have heard the advice before so thought I a would add that piece of spaghetti to what we were throwing against the wall.

My experience with hop tea has been so bad I could never recommend it. I was curious if you'd found some way to make it work that I'd missed. FWIW, I find most people who recommend hop tea haven't actually tried it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 08:34:03 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline biertourist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 06:06:38 pm »
Probably too late now, but I'd double-check my mash thermometer's accuracy and mash lower next time.

Upping the gypsum post-ferm is, IMO, the best "fix" post fermentation, unless you've got some 34/70 lager yeast laying around.

The other option would change the beer, but a warm and decently sizeable whole hop dry hop addition to try to get the amylase enzyme to dry the beer out another point or two. (I know Denny's experience has been that it doesn't do much.)

Most of the amylase enzyme products will just keep drying a beer out until near 1.000, so personally I'd avoid them at all costs unless you have access to FAA in reasonably sized quantities: https://bsgcanada.com/fungal-a-amylase-1kg/#:~:text=Fungal%20%CE%B1-amylase%20allows%20brewers%20to%20produce%20highly%20attenuated,allowing%20the%20expected%20final%20attenuation%20to%20be%20attained. (It's a self-limiting amylase enzyme that will get you a couple extra points and then stop.)

I don't know of anyone selling it in homebrewer sizes...

Adam