Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1800-watt hotplate...  (Read 2693 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 1800-watt hotplate...
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 07:47:56 pm »

Distilled water is a perfect starting point because you know what's (not) in it.

Then I shall use store-bought distilled water from this day forward. You just saved me so much time...

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2023, 04:39:13 am »
I used to use distilled water …but in the store I frequent as a result of Covid distilled water became more and more difficult to find. I still check as I walk by and rarely see it available.

So, I cobbled together an RO filter system. Now, I simply attach the feed line to the laundry room slop sink spigot, run the waste line down the drain, and get 1 gal of 14 ppm water in ~18 min. I plumbed the output around the room to a low point drain ball valve then up to a ball valve at my kettle setup. I attach a hose, open the ball valve and in a cpl hours I’ve collected my full volume of brewing water. I collect water at the low point drain for any machine I put water in (coffee maker, tea maker, iron, humidifier, countertop ice maker, etc) and to drain the line. The cat drinks RO water as well.

With the pieces I had on hand (ball valves, quick disconnects, filter housings, shelf, etc) and the pieces I had to buy (filter elements, RO membrane and housing, restrictor, pressure gauge, etc) I have less than a $100 bucks in it.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2023, 01:03:39 pm »
I used to use distilled water …but in the store I frequent as a result of Covid distilled water became more and more difficult to find. I still check as I walk by and rarely see it available.

I use a CPAP machine every night. It requires distilled water. You are right-- there was a time when distilled water was hard to find. I buy mine at Walmart; they usually have it. I've been forced to buy it at other places when Walmart is out of it, and the increase in the prices at the other places really bugs me. Because it can be hard to get, I buy several gallons at a time. I have at least four gallons on-hand right now, with three of them having been bought several months ago. It's water-- it keeps well.

But back to beer...

Now knowing I can use distilled water is a blessing. No longer any need to worry if my filtered water has any bacteria in it. I have a bacterial infection in me right now, and it's no fun. I've lost a lot of income to it, being able to work just two days since June 16. All that time away from work, and I still haven't made any beer. It's a cryin' shame...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 01:09:39 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2023, 04:22:10 pm »
If you're in Texas or Oklahoma, HTeaO will sell you RO water by the gallon.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2023, 02:40:40 pm »
Inadvertently touched the Mystery Key, and everything I wrote is gone. Good thing it wasn't War and Peace...