Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis #US-05  (Read 1819 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fermentis #US-05
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 08:20:40 am »
I believe you under pitched so sluggish performance should be expected. (Only pitched 75% of recommendation).

Rule of thumb: Pitch 5.5 grams of dry Ale yeast or 11 grams of dry Lager yeast per gravity point divided by 25 in a 5 gal batch. (K. Yager).

I think this was my issue.  I’ve been from the school of thought that said 1 packet of dry yeast is good for a 5 gallon batch.  I guess that school of thought is a bust!  The good news is I’m in day 2 of a very vigorous fermentation.  Yesterday evening, I brought the temp down to 62° and it’s going strong!

Thanks all for the ideas and input!

Cheers!

FWIW, I have never found one pack not enough up to about 1.070

Neither have I.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 08:53:34 am »

Ditto.  In fact I would usually use 1/2 pack for 5 gallons, only adding the remainder if for some reason the yeast didn't take off within ~24 hours (which it usually does, 95% of the time)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 10:23:48 am »
With a 2024 expiry, it should have been plenty of yeast for a 1.065 wort, but it sounds like the "lag" was only momentary.  I can only anecdotally add that my experience is that with the slightly laggard yeast pitches, they often finish fermentation in just about the same time frame as the "quick start" yeast pitches.  But lagging yeast has not been a problem for me in the last few years with dry yeast...the yeast seems to take off and finish well sooner than what I expect.  The re-pitches are always quick starters any more.  I would have to add that I brew much lighter ABV beers these days, so YMMV.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 10:52:47 am »

Ditto.  In fact I would usually use 1/2 pack for 5 gallons, only adding the remainder if for some reason the yeast didn't take off within ~24 hours (which it usually does, 95% of the time)

In my experience, you should use about half a package (5-6 grams) per every 5-6 gallon batch for every approximately 1.025 gravity points. According to the pitching rates recommended by dry yeast manufactures. So, for a 1.075 batch you should probably use about 1.5 packages. There is a lot of forgiveness with dry yeast due to the way it is manufactured and because it is in stasis with glycogen reserves in store. So, yeah, I would say you can more easily get away with underpitching dry yeast as opposed to liquid yeast since you can't be sure of the liquid yeast health.

Fermentis recommends 50-80g/hl .... so 10-16 grams per approx 5 gallons.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 11:16:48 am »

In my experience, you should use about half a package (5-6 grams) per every 5-6 gallon batch for every approximately 1.025 gravity points. According to the pitching rates recommended by dry yeast manufactures. So, for a 1.075 batch you should probably use about 1.5 packages. There is a lot of forgiveness with dry yeast due to the way it is manufactured and because it is in stasis with glycogen reserves in store. So, yeah, I would say you can more easily get away with underpitching dry yeast as opposed to liquid yeast since you can't be sure of the liquid yeast health.

Manufacturer guidelines are a good place to start, but I judge by my experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 11:34:48 am »

Manufacturer guidelines are a good place to start, but I judge by my experience.

As you should. ;) I'll add, that I have used a lot of dry yeast over the years and my experience definitely matches my suggestion of half a package (5-6g) per 1.025 for every 5-6 gallons--I'm talking about consistency from lag time to length of fermentation and what to expect. But, as will everything I also mentioned--there's a lot of forgiveness with dry yeast. And of course, not everyone's experience or preference matches my own!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 11:36:33 am by majorvices »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2023, 01:48:31 pm »
I have used full packets on all of my batches, whether it be 05, bry97 or whatever   Just easier to dump it and run.  LOL.  Ferm temps for me are usually in the mid to high 60's and maybe even very low 70's.  Again, not any where near as good as these other folks, but just thought I'd throw in my .02. LOL.   

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 02:03:08 pm »
obviously different dry yeast manufacturers and strains (as indicated by lallrmands yeast calculator page) could have different pitch rates, also not sure if you sure just indicating 1 pack of us05 up to 1.075 og (presumably for ~5.5 gallons of wort?), but in my experience ive had what i believe to be yeast strain induced unpleasantries due to underpitching dry yeast. my 2 cents. using bry97 as an example that is presumably close to us05 1.075 would probably involve at least 1.5 full packets. my experience was with lallemand munich classic, slight underpitching and with labbaye

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 03:30:51 pm »
 FWIW, I put a 1.072 IPA in the fermenter an hour and a half ago. As an experiment,  I pitched 1 pack of BRY97 dated December 2021 at 65 F. Just checked and I had positive pressure in the airlock. Popped the lid and there were signs of fermentation. We'll see where it goes from here.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 03:36:04 pm »
FWIW, I put a 1.072 IPA in the fermenter an hour and a half ago. As an experiment,  I pitched 1 pack of BRY97 dated December 2021 at 65 F. Just checked and I had positive pressure in the airlock. Popped the lid and there were signs of fermentation. We'll see where it goes from here.

good data point about 2021 dated yeast. ive got one that expires sept 2023 i intend to use.

just one detail though, what volume of wort was it? not sure what the standard or most common size people do is nowadays, mine is 5 to 5.5 gallons

Offline BrewBama

Fermentis #US-05
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2023, 05:57:03 pm »
I’ve often thought we must use different metrics to determine our start times. Without a common lexicon there’s a large chance of miscommunication.

That’s a good description of your definition of start time.

I pitch Bry-97 per the mfr instructions using their pitch rate calculator.  I gauge my start time as the first ‘blip’ on the Tilt bluetooth hydrometer. I see a degree increase in temp and a gravity point drop usually fairly close together. This usually occurs 16-18 hours after pitch with Bry-97. I have tons of data that support these start times with this yeast.  I bought a 500g brick and used it nearly exclusively for a while.  I kept track of each fermentation that showed very consistent performance.

I don’t use an airlock per se. I fill a keg with sanitizer, run a jumper from the fermenter to the keg and use the CO2 generated by fermentation to push the sanitizer into a bucket. Once the sanitizer is all in the bucket, the CO2 creates bubbles until fermentation is complete. Though I’ve never measured it, this creates a certain amount of pressure in the fermenter so this can change performance as well.

…but…. even though comparing Bry-97 to US-05 is not exactly apples to oranges, it is more like Granny Smith to Fuji. Like comparing Diamond to W34-70, they’re both apples but not exactly the same so expectations are different for each.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 06:09:56 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2023, 08:33:11 am »

good data point about 2021 dated yeast. ive got one that expires sept 2023 i intend to use.

just one detail though, what volume of wort was it? not sure what the standard or most common size people do is nowadays, mine is 5 to 5.5 gallons

Sorry. 6 gal.

www.dennybrew.com