Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kviek and diacetyl cleanup?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Kviek and diacetyl cleanup?
« on: July 12, 2023, 08:46:24 am »
I made a 5% pale ale a couple weeks ago using 2nd gen Kviek Lutra repitch. It's been hot as !#$ and I was bored so I stuck the bucket on the back porch and left it sit at 95F after pitching. The tilt showed the gravity dropping within a couple hours. It sat overnight and was back up to 95F the next day. By 3pm, the tilt was showing 1.008 and sat there for another two days. It tasted OK so I kegged it, carb'd and chilled. I was drinking a pretty good beer 5 days after mash in.

I don't taste or smell any off flavors. How does Kviek ferment so fast and not leave behind "green beer" or diacetyl or other off flavors? Did I just get lucky or can I expect to make 5-day 5% beers this way in the future?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Kviek and diacetyl cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 09:09:58 am »
I made a 5% pale ale a couple weeks ago using 2nd gen Kviek Lutra repitch. It's been hot as !#$ and I was bored so I stuck the bucket on the back porch and left it sit at 95F after pitching. The tilt showed the gravity dropping within a couple hours. It sat overnight and was back up to 95F the next day. By 3pm, the tilt was showing 1.008 and sat there for another two days. It tasted OK so I kegged it, carb'd and chilled. I was drinking a pretty good beer 5 days after mash in.

I don't taste or smell any off flavors. How does Kviek ferment so fast and not leave behind "green beer" or diacetyl or other off flavors? Did I just get lucky or can I expect to make 5-day 5% beers this way in the future?

It's not about the speed of ferment, it's about the vigor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 07:11:00 am »
Diacetyl is most commonly caused by alpha-acetolactate, which most beer yeasts produce, but then reabsorb near the end of fermentation. If the alpha-acetolactate is not "cleaned up" after fermentation diacetyl can result. Some strains produce less alpha-acetolactate than others.Some have even been engineered or selected to create almost none.

"Green beer" iscaused by Acetaldehyde which is also generated more or less by most brewing yeasts. Some strains produce less than others. Acetaldehyde usually fades over time, the less that is produced during fermentation, the less of a problem and the shorter the aging time to remove it.

My guess is that kviek doesn't generate very much alpha-acetolactate or acetaldehyde, or it is very good at cleaning it up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 07:12:40 am by majorvices »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 09:03:02 am »
I found the following study that might be helpful.  Look at pp. 90-92 for the specifics on diacetyl and acetaldehyde:

https://nmbu.brage.unit.no/nmbu-xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2681970/aasen2020.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 10:33:47 am »

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 09:23:06 pm »
I brewed a pseudo lager Festbier using Lutra.  Fermenting at 68 and it's cranking away.  I read several places that Kviek/Lutra does not need a diacetyl rest, so going to skip it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 09:07:00 am »
I brewed a pseudo lager Festbier using Lutra.  Fermenting at 68 and it's cranking away.  I read several places that Kviek/Lutra does not need a diacetyl rest, so going to skip it.

I can't think of any ale yeast run at that kind of temp that needs a d rest
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 02:54:11 am »

That's really interesting. Yeast has so much going on for only having a single cell.