Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Brewing Liquidating  (Read 2750 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Anchor Brewing Liquidating
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2023, 07:18:05 pm »
Now that Anchor is going under, does their trademark disappear? Can commercial brewers call their brews "Steam Beer" without fear of legal consequences?

Probably not - the trademark would be part of Anchor's IP to be liquidated. Whoever buys the IP (since I'm sure it will be sold), will keep the trademark since it's arguably one of the most valuable bits.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2023, 06:19:41 am »
Everyone should realize we all contributed to their demise. When was the last time you purchased Anchor other than for a BJCP class, Christmas Ale, or Old Foghorn?

With the saturation of breweries people stopped buying Anchor and sales declined to the point the parent company wasn't willing to accept it anymore.

Am I sad, yes, but I know I was one of the reasons they won't be around anymore unless someone buys the assets to resurrect the brand.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2023, 08:49:57 am »
Everyone should realize we all contributed to their demise. When was the last time you purchased Anchor other than for a BJCP class, Christmas Ale, or Old Foghorn?

With the saturation of breweries people stopped buying Anchor and sales declined to the point the parent company wasn't willing to accept it anymore.

Am I sad, yes, but I know I was one of the reasons they won't be around anymore unless someone buys the assets to resurrect the brand.

Ya know, I'm not gonna buy beer just to keep a historic brewery alive. I'm gonna buy it if I like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2023, 09:26:34 am »
One analysis  here, it sounds like Sapporo didn't know what to do with their purchase
https://vinepair.com/articles/sapporo-usa-anchor-brewing-liquidation-analysis/

I realize this is primarily sourced from employees, but the rebrand was a disaster IMHO.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2023, 10:23:06 am »

Ya know, I'm not gonna buy beer just to keep a historic brewery alive. I'm gonna buy it if I like it.

The question is did you buy it regularly? If the answer is no, and for most people that is the case, then it's the reason they are closing. It happens all the time in the beer business, but typically not to those who are well established. I can think of three right now within 30 miles who are for sale or closing.

I didn't buy Anchor because it was one of the more expensive brands on the market. I vividly recall the first time I got my hands on a Liberty Ale, but that experience wasn't enough to keep me coming back on the regular.

I do hope someone resurrects the brand, and soon. I would also hope they would scrap the new branding in favor of the old.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2023, 10:34:45 am »

The question is did you buy it regularly? If the answer is no, and for most people that is the case, then it's the reason they are closing. It happens all the time in the beer business, but typically not to those who are well established. I can think of three right now within 30 miles who are for sale or closing.

I didn't buy Anchor because it was one of the more expensive brands on the market. I vividly recall the first time I got my hands on a Liberty Ale, but that experience wasn't enough to keep me coming back on the regular.

I do hope someone resurrects the brand, and soon. I would also hope they would scrap the new branding in favor of the old.

No, I didn't. Same question as before....should I buy something I don't like?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2023, 10:40:27 am »
Looking at the recipes above, if they’re accurate, you can see that they’re fairly old school.  I like that but many beer drinkers have moved on. They were probably cutting edge originally but now they have been overtaken by the Haze Craze, IPA(s), newer hops, etc.  The market moves and the brewery must move with it or be passed by.

I think it’s sad due to the nostalgia of the historic brewery, but nostalgia only goes so far and BLUF: sales pay the bills.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 11:17:01 am »
Was at some friends' house in Cupertino recently. I was offered a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and said yes. It was wonderful.

Before that we spent some days in Paso Robles. The Double Barrel Ale at Firestone Walker was sublime.

Revisit some of the old classics and you might be pleased at how good they are.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2023, 01:08:10 pm »

yeah, i remember liberty ale and id probably try the odd anchor brew if i could get it, but it hasnt been sold up here in ??? idk how long.

also those fancy unique bottles may have been an unnecessary cost. someone mentioned on the first page the simple fact that their brewing space was not something easily expandable or upgradeable is also an unfortunate reality.

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2023, 05:30:56 pm »
No, I didn't. Same question as before....should I buy something I don't like?

Same here. 

I'm sad to see a brewery like this go away, but I wasn't a fan of the style, personally.  I do go out of my way (literally or by paying a bit more) to spend my coin at local businesses or at smaller shops that I like.  But not if it's a product that I wouldn't normally be purchasing.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2023, 07:09:05 pm »
They never had very good market penetration anywhere that I've lived. So, I never bought them much bc I never saw them much.

I'm not sure I ever saw a Christmas or Foghorn in person.

They've always been in that class of "beers you read about but never meet in the wild" — like Westvleteren, Pliny, or Avec Les Bons Voeux.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2023, 07:23:05 pm »
They never had very good market penetration anywhere that I've lived. So, I never bought them much bc I never saw them much.

I'm not sure I ever saw a Christmas or Foghorn in person.

They've always been in that class of "beers you read about but never meet in the wild" — like Westvleteren, Pliny, or Avec Les Bons Voeux.

Old guys like me have had all of those. It may have been easier back in the day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2023, 08:32:29 pm »
I saw this a couple days ago.  Definitely sad.  As others have mentioned, Steam was also one of my introductions to craft beer.  The last time I had it was probably a little over a year ago.  The drop in quality was definitely noticeable compared to what it once was.  I was also a fan of the Christmas and the Porter.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2023, 08:10:13 am »
Am I reading those clone recipes correctly??

almost 19% C40 on the Foghorn barleywine?

and 12.6% C40 in the steam ale??

I don't think I have ever tried those beers (so I don't know what they taste like), but I have certainly heard a lot about them.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2023, 08:18:40 am »
Am I reading those clone recipes correctly??

almost 19% C40 on the Foghorn barleywine?

and 12.6% C40 in the steam ale??

I don't think I have ever tried those beers (so I don't know what they taste like), but I have certainly heard a lot about them.
These recipes were given to the magazine from the brewery in 2014, so it's probably really accurate in sense of calculations, but I've never brewed/compared them. They are very old world recipes and I used to add that much, and more, C malts back when I started brewing. I use a lot less now but times be times.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk