Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Brewing Liquidating  (Read 2752 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Anchor Brewing Liquidating
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2023, 08:29:46 am »
On that note, I will be brewing at least Steam and California Lager... I brought back a lot of California Lager yeast from HBC for some reason lol

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2023, 08:52:37 am »
Am I reading those clone recipes correctly??

almost 19% C40 on the Foghorn barleywine?

and 12.6% C40 in the steam ale??

I don't think I have ever tried those beers (so I don't know what they taste like), but I have certainly heard a lot about them.

Yep, I'd say that's accurate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2023, 11:35:43 am »
Everyone should realize we all contributed to their demise. When was the last time you purchased Anchor other than for a BJCP class, Christmas Ale, or Old Foghorn?

I really dislike this take, which comes up every time a brewery closes. (WSJ not terribly long ago was blaming young people who drink less for closing bars down.) It's not our job as consumers to prop up businesses or to Denny's point, buy products we don't like to help them out. I've never been a big fan of Anchor's beers so I didn't buy them.

More generally on the subject:

It's ok to feel remorse for a legacy brewery with a romantic location that reached the end of the line, but it's not our fault. We didn't control the recipes, or what beers they brewed, or how they marketed it. That rebranding a few years ago was terrible. They completely ignored over a decade of trends towards other styles and away from crystal malts. As a homebrewer I can respect commitment to brewing what they want and keeping the beers the way they want but that's why I'm a homebrewer and not a pro brewer.

I've seen some reports this week that Anchor was in financial distress before the sale and that's why it was sold, rather than because nobody in the family wanted to brew beer. That's not too surprising given that craft beer at the top of the market was years into cutting crystal malts out of recipes, the rise of hazy IPAs, sours, barrel programs, pastry stouts and stress on local breweries. Those are all things that cut out breweries like Anchor from the market.

I don't know what the future is for the Anchor brand, if anything, but I hope the brewery remains intact and sold to investors who want to relish the heritage of the location. That's probably unlikely given the cost of real estate in the area and the difficulty brewing on an older system like that.

They've always been in that class of "beers you read about but never meet in the wild" — like Westvleteren, Pliny, or Avec Les Bons Voeux.

Pliny is more broadly distributed now that RRBC has Windsor pumping out IPAs. Not sure where you are but you could probably get somebody to ship it to you along with the IMO superior Blind Pig.

Avec Les Bons Voeux is seasonal but anywhere that orders a lot of Dupont should get it in the fall or winter. Total Wine and grocery stores that stock imported beers often have it. If Whole Foods is in your area, sometimes they have it.

Westvleteren is still go to Belgium or order it from Belgium. You can order all three at times from some of the Belgian bottle shops but you should order a full box to make the freight cost a little more palatable.  IMO also order enough to stash a few because they will improve with time.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2023, 01:23:50 pm »
You can't blame consumers for not buying enough beer to keep a brewery of Anchor's scale open. The fact is that the current craft beer market favors local and hyperlocal breweries. Regional breweries are all but extinct. National brands can only hold their ground if they have a big-selling flagship (and Anchor Steam isn't selling the numbers of SNPA, Boston Lager, Yuengling, etc.), or if they keep interest up by continually innovating (Anchor isn't doing that, either). Unfortunately, the ship has sailed for Anchor, and no doubt we'll see more of these before the tide turns back to beer at some unspecified point in the future.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2023, 03:00:07 pm »
I think we need to get away from the blame everyone is thinking being thrown. I will admit, I have only been buying the Christmas beer but I haven't even been happy with the last few releases. Have to make a product people want. I know where I spend my money. That's why Fat Tire died and redesigned awhile Abbey died and Voodoo Ranger took over. I used to fanboy for New Belgium hard. Now it's nothing. It's just having to make what people want. Evolution.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2023, 04:00:25 pm »
The Christmas Ale was always hit or miss to me. It was whatever they threw in the wood chipper that year. Some people loved it no matter what, but it wasn't my jam. YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2023, 04:08:51 pm »
I think we need to get away from the blame everyone is thinking being thrown. I will admit, I have only been buying the Christmas beer but I haven't even been happy with the last few releases. Have to make a product people want. I know where I spend my money. That's why Fat Tire died and redesigned awhile Abbey died and Voodoo Ranger took over. I used to fanboy for New Belgium hard. Now it's nothing. It's just having to make what people want. Evolution.

true, i think this is a new phase of craft breweries, but also beer in general where we now are actually at the point of having "extinct beer" recipes made within our lifetime, rather than looking back 100 or more years. "anchor" will live on as a legend with its story and brew recipes always available for homebrewers to call upon. and respect to fritz maytag for doing what he did.

i brewed some west coast old school style pale ale and IPAs in may/june and tasting them now, its been so long since i had that hard bitter edge and frankly i lost my taste for it. the original BITTER BITTER IPA phenomenon may soon be a memory only kept alive by homebrewers as well to a degree ?

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2023, 05:55:26 pm »
true, i think this is a new phase of craft breweries, but also beer in general where we now are actually at the point of having "extinct beer" recipes made within our lifetime, rather than looking back 100 or more years. "anchor" will live on as a legend with its story and brew recipes always available for homebrewers to call upon. and respect to fritz maytag for doing what he did.

i brewed some west coast old school style pale ale and IPAs in may/june and tasting them now, its been so long since i had that hard bitter edge and frankly i lost my taste for it. the original BITTER BITTER IPA phenomenon may soon be a memory only kept alive by homebrewers as well to a degree ?

It seems we were seeing west coast IPAs drying out and moving past the IBU wars before hazy took over. A lot of the newer west coast IPAs I'm seeing around are labeling themselves juicy west coast or new style west coast which use the newer hops and are more bitter than hazy but not shooting for bitterness for bitterness's sake. Seems like trying to pick up where west coast IPA was and moving it forward. I'm not sure if it's happening elsewhere but I'm not seeing the old crystal heavy, super bitter IPAs at any local brewery pumping out west coast IPAs. Personally I'm not excited to see IBU wars II.

I agree--some of the older craft beer styles will be kept alive mostly in homebrewing circles. I just have a hard time seeing a lot of breweries rushing to put out amber ales, middling strength stouts/porters, or American wheats these days. Heck, outside of Dale's I can barely find a pale ale around town.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2023, 06:03:48 pm »

I agree--some of the older craft beer styles will be kept alive mostly in homebrewing circles. I just have a hard time seeing a lot of breweries rushing to put out amber ales, middling strength stouts/porters, or American wheats these days. Heck, outside of Dale's I can barely find a pale ale around town.

i know i keep replying to this thread, but re: mid strength amber ales - lol, there are variants on this that i actually really love and was just thinking about formulating for fall brewing just a few minutes ago.

english yeast, colour through biscuit/amber malt + c60 up to c120 mixes and also a bit of oak. one of my fave beers i ever made was this kind of grist, with maris otter as the base around 5.9% ABV. im thinking sort of like those now very oudated and unwanted high 5% "ESB" type ales. they can be done really well IMHO.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2023, 09:15:22 am »

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2023, 11:05:13 am »
i know i keep replying to this thread, but re: mid strength amber ales - lol, there are variants on this that i actually really love and was just thinking about formulating for fall brewing just a few minutes ago.

english yeast, colour through biscuit/amber malt + c60 up to c120 mixes and also a bit of oak. one of my fave beers i ever made was this kind of grist, with maris otter as the base around 5.9% ABV. im thinking sort of like those now very oudated and unwanted high 5% "ESB" type ales. they can be done really well IMHO.

There are some great amber ales, especially newer ones that have given up the heavy hand with crystal malts. I'm a fan--and I don't even hate drinking some of the older ambers out there--but I don't think there is much of a market to make them commercially viable.

Kinda the same with brown ales. I can't count how many people I've heard say, "brown ales: why?" in a market full of 15% stouts. Personally I'd rather drink some of those brown ales over a lot of stouts on the market but the totality of consumers do not agree.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2023, 06:06:47 am »
The fact is that the current craft beer market favors local and hyperlocal breweries. Regional breweries are all but extinct. National brands can only hold their ground if they have a big-selling flagship (and Anchor Steam isn't selling the numbers of SNPA, Boston Lager, Yuengling, etc.), or if they keep interest up by continually innovating (Anchor isn't doing that, either).

Mid-tier breweries can't compete with AB et al. on economies of scale but also can't compete with micro- and nano-breweries on local-ness / personableness / etc.

Grocery-store shelf space is hyper competitive, but local places can just skip that and focus on taproom sales (unless we get another COVID scenario...). Anchor doesn't didn't have that luxury.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2023, 06:40:39 am »

There are some great amber ales, especially newer ones that have given up the heavy hand with crystal malts. I'm a fan--and I don't even hate drinking some of the older ambers out there--but I don't think there is much of a market to make them commercially viable.

Kinda the same with brown ales. I can't count how many people I've heard say, "brown ales: why?" in a market full of 15% stouts. Personally I'd rather drink some of those brown ales over a lot of stouts on the market but the totality of consumers do not agree.
Homebrewing has a long history of keeping styles alive after they went extinct commercially. For some it may be nostalgia, and for others it may be to explore beers they can't get commercially. That's the beauty of this hobby - if I want to drink it I'll just brew it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2023, 08:02:31 am »
I've read a number of articles about Anchor closing since becoming aware of this situation. One common problem, mentioned in a number of the articles, were increased labor costs. The labor costs combined with other factors are what led Sapporo to "let go". In other words, Anchor just wasn't profitable anymore.