Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Koln yeast; 93% attenuation??  (Read 759 times)

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Lallemand Koln yeast; 93% attenuation??
« on: July 19, 2023, 11:21:21 am »
Saturday I brewed up a split batch of hoppy Koln Schwarzbier (using Koln) and Cascadian Dark Ale (Verdant), and was surprised to see the reportedly slow Koln take off like gangbusters and produce a huge krausen after only 14-15 hours, faster even than the usually fast Verdant.

After 3 days, the Koln's krausen was already gone, and the beer was clearing very nicely.  Hunh, I thought, this should be way slower. 

Today, less than 4 full days after pitching, it looked so clear, I thought I'd hazard an early hydrometer sample.  1.004 already, from an OG of 1.064, or 93%.  Way faster/more than I expected.  It is my first time using Lallemand Koln yeast.

(Granted, I am fermenting a bit warmer than I'd have liked, about 68F.  And, I did step-mash it for higher fermentability too.  But still!)

Afraid that it was contaminated, I drank the hydrometer sample, and it was quite good -- no contamination, no off-smells nor off-flavors.  Yes, thinner body than I had hoped for, but quite drinkable.  Might not even need to cold crash it.  Looks great already.

I don't really have any questions or concerns, but thought I'd throw this anecdotal data point out there for others to be aware of.  It's a slight tweak off a recipe I've made a couple times before, never gotten anywhere close to this attenuation (or speed) with other ale yeasts.

I'll definitely use the yeast cake/slurry for a couple more round of other brews coming up, we'll see if it does this again.  In fact, I had a barleywine recipe I was going to do next, this 2nd gen slurry might be a candidate for half of that batch, just out of curiosity.

Anyone else get the Lallemand Koln to go 90+% attenuation?  I'd heard 75%...  which as why I step-mashed it, hoping for closer to 80%, maybe 82%.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lallemand Koln yeast; 93% attenuation??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 11:28:08 am »
Attenuation is at least as dependent on wort as on yeast
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 11:44:30 am »
Attenuation is at least as dependent on wort as on yeast

Apparently I have just demonstrated that, without intending to.   :D  Oh well, not what I was intending, but this is already a very nice beer -- and in less than 96 hours to boot.  Who needs Kveik??

Meanwhile the Verdant batch (same exact wort) is still chugging along, probably at least 2-4 days away from being done.  No gravity check on that one yet, as it's clearly not even close to the stage of the Kolsch.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:50:15 am by ScallyWag »

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 09:53:09 am »
Fascinating data point!

I absolutely love the Koln strain. Looking at two recent kolsches made with the yeast, I hit 78% and 79% attenuation with mash temps of 150 and 152. I could probably nudge it up a bit higher with a step mash, but am quite happy with the results on these beers as they were.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 06:20:26 pm »
just a data point on attenuation.

i was doing some overnight mashes at ~149/150F temps and getting mid to high 80s attenuation with all basemalt worts and lager yeasts. the tricky part was getting consistency, and being able to plan the OG  with a somewhat accurate expected FG to not get a beer that is say 6% ABV isntead of 5%

i would do it again, and i noticed no flavour issues with overnight mashes. i didnt check pH at start and end but hope to this time around